Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Download speed issues

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC - Download speed issues

This may well be BT testing your line and interrupting your connection. If it happens in half hour bursts at varying intervals then this is likely to be the case. This is only my best guess though, so I'd advise mentioning to the faults guys when they next call you.
puffin
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
If you're seeing differences between external speedtests and BT speed tests then the issue is likely to be on our network.

Speedtests performed at 22:50 on 1/10/2010 (a day after the network was put back into Plan A and new capacity was lit)
www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Download: 3786 kbps
Upload: 1618 kbps
speedtester.bt.com
Profile: 38717 / 10000
Download: 30837 kbps
Upload: 8078 kbps
Clearly this is not exchange contention!
EDIT: And at 01:10 mybroadbandspeed jumps up to 31957/7839.
Danplusnet
Grafter

@ PN
After having been fixed for a while my FTTC contention issue has reared its head again. Similar story download reduced to sub 7 meg from 28-37meg whilst upload remains around 8meg as always. Pings to bbc.co.uk have risen from 8m/s to an average of 111m/s. BT speedtester reports the line is performing poorly and should be logged with the ISP.
Fault ticket raised 36245505 which I have referenced back to the original fault 35199427.
I know we can't mention staff names on here but can the ticket be nudged back to the guys (that I cant name) that looked after the original fault.
Many thanks
TonyC
Grafter

Same here, BT profile is 33464 however speed has dropped to 8Meg, (then picked back up to 14meg) tonight.
BT speedtest was unable to run a test on my line...  Cry

nibor
Grafter

mmm most night sat peek times its between 7 - 14 mb, surly if ur going to pay for a service then you should be charged based on the minimum speed u will get and not the maximum possible. Guess this is due to congestion and I can only see it getting worse as more people switch over to fibre.
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: nibor
surely if ur going to pay for a service then you should be charged based on the minimum speed u will get and not the maximum possible ... and I can only see it getting worse as more people switch over to fibre.

indeed
TonyC
Grafter

Seeing slow speeds again tonight