Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Download speed issues

Danplusnet
Grafter

Re: FTTC - Download speed issues

Hi Dave
Did you find anything out re the contention issue or do these sort of issues take a long time to resolve?
Danplusnet
Grafter

@ Dave
I have been running the occasional BT speedtester to monitor the problem and tend to get between 3 & 7 meg download. Today however, the BT tester required me to log in as a different user and it performed a third test. After this it reported the line is performing poorly and to report to ISP.
I have attached the results below. Is posting on the forum sufficient or should it be raised via a fault ticket aswell (wasn't sure if the fault ticket process applies to the trials)?
FAQ

This Last Test comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
7196 Kbps

0 Kbps 38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 7196 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
8160 Kbps

0 Kbps 10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8160 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.
Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Any faults raised through the normal manner will go through to a couple of the Faults Team guys trained to deal with FTTC faults.
Danplusnet
Grafter

Fault Ticket raised 35199427
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've let the guys know. They're not in the office as we speak but both work shift patterns so this will be picked up asap.
Danplusnet
Grafter

I have just seen the following added to the fault test progress
"Plus.net Heavy FRIACO dialup (0808 9933270) component added to account"
A quick search on Plusnet help pages suggests my broadband has a metered amount of hours access. That can't be right, can it?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

FRIACO is free, hence the 0808 number supplied with it Smiley
However, this is intended for no connection faults as I expect you'd prefer a 7mbps FTTC connection to a 56kbps dial up Smiley
nibor
Grafter

This is my first day , im the only person in my cabinet on FTTC and have also noiced my speed drop down to to 7-10 mb this evening
nibor
Grafter

Just reset my router and connection is back to normal...mmmm strange..  any thoughts
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi Nibor
Welcome to FTTC. If you have the same issue as me it isn't a modem or router problem.  I get the same issue on Netgear, Thomson or Zyxel routers.
You can test this by running a speed test during peal periods 7-8pm and then run one again in the morning without rebooting anything. Outside of busy periods my connection runs at full speed (30 - 35meg) but I barely get 3meg during peak.
If your speed is massively reduced during peak periods then it's worth running test at speedtester.bt.com. If it recognises a serious problem it asks you to run a third test.
nibor
Grafter

Ran a test at speedtester at the same time and strangley my down load speeds ect were as they should be, but speedtest.net , and when actually dowlodaing had me at a much lower speed , so thats why i was wondering if it was a local issue, anyways early days, particulary as it fixed itself as soon as i turned the router on and off.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you're seeing differences between external speedtests and BT speed tests then the issue is likely to be on our network.
This service status and these two planned maintenance posts may well have something to do with recent issues seen with speeds as the network is somewhat out of balance after the expected disconnections.
paulshrimpton

Huys, I appear to be having teh same issue.
I had my install this week (Tuesday) and was delighted to record speeds equal to or better than my expected 16.5 / 6.5. However, in the evening that had dropped to around 5Mb down, although the upload speeds were more consistent.
Initially, I put it down to the line settling down a bit, but had the same yesterday as well, with download speeds hitting something a little over 4 Mb on average across the evening. Whilst this is better than my previous 2Mb, it's certainly not the improvement I was expecting.
Don't know if there's anything happening at the exchange (Maidenhead) or whether anyone else is connected to the cabinet.
Any clues on what I can do to try and sort the issue out from my end? Or do I just need to bear with it for a few more days to see if it sorts itself out?
Cheers
Paul
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@paulshrimpton
Did you have a look at the links in my previous post?
nibor
Grafter

Well got home today and my connection has gone belly up, can hardly perform any speed tests , connection keeps dropping, and managed finally to do a bt speed terst which gave me 3mbs down and 106k up and then said the test was inconclusive and i should conact my isp !!
HELP!!!!
Will raise a ticket. Cry