Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - Download speed issues

Danplusnet
Grafter

FTTC - Download speed issues

Hi
Normally speaking I get between 28 - 38meg download and 8 meg upload. However I have noticed that in the evenings quite often my download is getting limited to 7meg download yet my upload remains unaffected. In effect I can upload faster than I can download.
Does that sound right?
I have tried disconnecting - reconnecting router, re-syncing modem, different gateways but to no avail. My line profiles appear to look ok.
Any ideas or is this going to be one of the limitations of FTTC?
51 REPLIES 51
Toenex
Grafter

Re: FTTC - Download speed issues

Hi,
Similar here Dan.  I've been on FTTC trial for about a week now with the Thomsom modem and whilst on the day of installation I was getting 38Mb down, 8Mb up my speeds have dropped considerably.    Results below are common for daytime although some days/most evenings can be down to 7Mb down and > 1 Mb up.  I'm on the Pro account which is supposed to give priority traffic.  Is there a training period for FTTC and can I expect better than this given the first day speeds?  Also are there any monitoring tools I can use to...errm..  well monitor things?  Does rebooting the modem help?
-tony
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi Tony
I'm on the Pro account too. I was using the Thomson but moved over to a Netgear router.  Rebooting the modem or router makes no difference to me but next time it happens I will go back to using the Thomson and see if the issue is still there (just to eliminate the possibility that the Netgear is being idle).
The difference between our two issues is that your connection is dropping and affecting both your download and upload whereas my upload is unaffected and ends up being higher than my download speed.
If your look in your high speed connection option, within the 'My Account Connection Settings' in the Member Centre your IP profile should be 20000 (which I think means it is unrestricted).  Then run a speedtester.bt.com test and see what your BT profile is. It should be 30-40meg fo rthe download and around 10meg for the upload.
The DLM still exists for fibre optic connections so it's probably worth dropping a separate post in to the Routers section and ask PN to send you your connectivity chart for the last week or so. This will tell you if the modem is dropping the connection frequently affecting your profile.  You can play around with the router all you like but the modem should remain powered up all the time.

bluewhale
Rising Star

is there no local hack/access to talk to the modem?
would be nice to get it's stats
Danplusnet
Grafter

Download speeds have gone again.I also checked using the Thomson router and it makes no difference.

I tried several different gateways too and they all gave very varying ping results but none close to my usual.
Come the morning and everything is back to normal.
I'm still amazed that I can upload at 50% faster than I can download, perhaps PN can shed some light on the matter?
dick:green Tagged images.
the_norris
Grafter

Hi
Just like to add that i've noticed this issue too on my connection. But not had much time to look into it at the moment - got to get Nursery ready!
I'm currently using my own Buffalo Router - but got one of the new thomson  router from Dave. will try that - might be thursday night.
Phil
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Sounds like contention is kicking in somewhere, I'll check out our side of the network (we've got more bandwidth going in very shortly too) and see if BT can see anything their side.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Toenex
Grafter

Hi,
Checked my configuration settings and my PN current line speed: 21000.  Ran a speedtester.bt.com check and got the following:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 9728 Kbps
IP Profile for your line is -750 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5008 Kbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

Want worries me a bit is the 750Kbps profile on the download connection which doesn't seem to match the PN profile.  Any ideas why this is?
-tony
Danplusnet
Grafter

Two different problems here
It looks like Toenex has profile issues and yet my profiles (BT & Plusnet) are both fine but every evening my ping goes nuts and my download drops to between 2& 6 meg. Gateway hoping doesn't help matters either - tried the ptn, thn and pcl gateways and ping is all over the place.
Come the morning it is always back to normal though.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Toenex - just run a quick test on the line, looks like the line is sync'd just below 30Mbps but has sync'd

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 29.999 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.997001 Mbps

It did sync as low as 23840kbps, hence the 21Mbps profile. Not sure why there's a 750kbps profile but I'd suggesting rebooting both the BT modem and router and leaving it until the end of the 10 days as it will still be going through the stabilisation period. I'll try and find out why the 750kbps profiles but it doesn't look like it's having any effect.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Danplusnet - no problem showing with the line, it's a full sync:
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 39.999 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.999001 Mbps
So like I said, I suspect it's contention somewhere, I'll see if I can find anything from BT.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Danplusnet
Grafter

Thanks Dave.
To ask maybe a dumb question wouldn't contention affect upload aswell as download or is upload ability separate from download.
thanks
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Contention affects upstream and downstream separately as (to the best of our knowledge) downstream and upstream to exchanges do not share bandwidth. As that bandwidth is provisioned synchronously, you're always going to have much more spare bandwidth on the upstream due to the asynchronous provisioning to the End Users.
P.S. I can't reference this!
Danplusnet
Grafter

I bow to your greater knowledge. It sounds perfectly logical to me.
Fibre optic is a recent addition to my area and I hadn't noticed any contention at the beginning. Let's just hope that BT haven't been rolling out their own Infinity product and giving it an assured profile over non-BT customers.
On ADSL2+ i might have lost maybe 500k at peak periods but not 32meg  Sad
Toenex
Grafter

Cheers dave I'll give it until the weekend and then try rebooting the BT modem and the router too see if that ups things.
-tony