Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC - A History of my experience

manastro
Grafter

FTTC - A History of my experience

Hello,
My FTTC was activated at 1pm today. Download speed initially was only about 5500 with uload of about 7000. Raised a ticket to get profile updated - now profile says 20000 BUT no improvement - see below:

Is there something else that needs to be done? Is there a problem with the link?
ALSO - does anyone know of some software such as Routerstats that works with the new Netgear router as supplied by PN?
6 REPLIES 6
manastro
Grafter

Re: FTTC - A History of my experience

Switched on the PC this morning and ran speed test - seems to be working OK now:
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
We've seen a few cases where the speed doesn't always go up immediately and that it can take a few hours, even occasionally a day or two. We're not exactly sure why it happens but suspect it's just because it's the first time you connect.
At the moment there's no way of viewing the line stats on the FTTC modem, BT have locked it down so there's no access to that information. We can run a test to see the sync speed (the engineer may have shown you this result during the install) but that's all we can see too, no SNR or anything like that.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
manastro
Grafter

Well, things seem to be getting worse..........
Last night the speed was:

and today it's below the minimum guaranteed 15 Mbps that the BT engineer told me BT provided:
manastro
Grafter

Things have improved slightly:
prichardson
Grafter

The minimum of 15mbps figure the engineer has quoted, relates to signal speed and not throughput, which is what is being tested by yourself.
In addition to this, the minimum was reduced from 15 to 5mbps mid-December (ish). This has expended the availability of the product to many people, as the availability checker will show the product as not available to you, if the predicted speed is below this minimum.
manastro
Grafter

Have left things a few days before rechecking the speed......... It seems to be improving: