cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FTTC] 80/20 trial - what speeds should i expect?

Stuart5851

Re: [FTTC] 80/20 trial - what speeds should i expect?

I've only broke the 40mb download speed once and that was wired, overall speeds are poor and I believe the Zyxel router is the weak component!
cymroc
Dabbler

Quote from: Stewthecue
I've had to use this speediest because bt's one is flaking out at the moment, but i really would expect it to be better than that on 80Mb download.
It's worth mentioning that was over wifi, but before the trial i had on occasion seen 30Mb over wifi.

You should try the test in the link above from KevinG as that seems to be the most reliable.
Stewthecue
Grafter

Thanks, it was a bit better, but still only 23Mb.
Also, i'm using a netgear, not Zyxel. so i don't think it's the Zyxels fault.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Stuart5851
I've only broke the 40mb download speed once and that was wired, overall speeds are poor and I believe the Zyxel router is the weak component!

Well, IMHO, wireless speed tests don't count anyway and I have not found that the Zyxel router is restricting throughput in any way.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
Have any of you tried speed testing directly from the modem? There are instructions on how to do this for Windows XP here and Windows Vista/Windows 7 here
Jojo Smiley
cymroc
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo, I followed those instructions and the speeds were slightly higher, 73Mbps down and 15Mbps up.  Will continue to monitor speeds from modem and also via router.
In meantime, please can you check on the status of the Netgear router?  It still hasn't arrived and I raised a ticket on the help assistant and received a reply this morning stating that only Zyxel are sent out as part of the trial?
Cheers
Craig
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry, that was my bad - the Zyxel you received was sent in place of the Netgear I'm afraid, that's the model that we're sending out at the moment.
I'll see if there's anything else we can sort out for you so you have something to test.
Stewthecue
Grafter

I tried plugging into the modem, but couldn't get it to connect PPOE. The instructions were no good for me. (macbook)
I did plug it all back in to the router though and run a wired test using the broadband max speedtester mentioned earlier and it kicked out 72Mb. Ran wired tests a day or two before and only ever averaged 50Mb, but i was using speedtest.net.
I'm suprised that wireless is really that much worse. I know it's never going to be as good as wired, but a quarter of the speed?Huh
And should a different speedtest really influence the results that much aswell?
Also, i suffered a lost connection yesterday afternoon for around 30 mins. The BBMax test i ran was almost immediately after service returned. Relevent or not, i don't know.
cymroc
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
I'm sorry, that was my bad - the Zyxel you received was sent in place of the Netgear I'm afraid, that's the model that we're sending out at the moment.
I'll see if there's anything else we can sort out for you so you have something to test.

Thanks for clarifying Matt. 
I've been using the Zyxel for a week now and best speeds have been 60Mbps down and 14Mbps up, but wifi connectivity has been poor especially on Samsung Galaxy S2 and Logitech Squeezebox so I have now returned to my previous router (Linksys E2000) and speeds are broadly the same. 
Best speeds achieved so far have been when connected directly to the modem (75Mbps down - 16Mbps up)
cymroc
Dabbler

Still not getting above 60Mbps despite having a profile of 77Mbps.  Is there anything else that I can do to improve the speeds?  I
dannykos
Grafter

Can someone look at my ticket: 54705833
I'm being told that there's a 10 day re-training period for the line on the fibre trial - but on the forum everyone's saying there isn't!?
My BT profile is showing 38Mbps down and 20Mbps up?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've just checked the ticket and it looks like Adam picked it up earlier - hope that helps Smiley
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dannykos
I'm being told that there's a 10 day re-training period for the line on the fibre trial - but on the forum everyone's saying there isn't!?

Quite right, there isn't!
dannykos
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
I've just checked the ticket and it looks like Adam picked it up earlier - hope that helps Smiley

Many thanks - appreciate all your efforts to get all us speed junkies sorted Wink