FTTC - 15 NBG-417N Routers for testing

SlinkyWizard
Dabbler

Re: FTTC - 15 NBG-417N Routers for testing

My Thoughts:
Pros:
Easy to configure and a nice interface;
Wired speed seems pretty good and reliable;
Wireless speed shows as connected at 300Mbps (odd for a 150Mbps router!) - Netgear reports 130Mbps on the same card
Mediocre:
Maximum throughput I can get on a speedtest seems to be around 20Mb on wireless
Signal strength seems high, although in my multi-ap setup I find that I regularly connect to the 54Mbps device instead of the Zyxel - this didn't happen with the Netgear.
Cons:
Unable to stealth - ports show as closed
I would suggest it really needs a new firmware release to make it shine...
Regards,
James Mayl
SlinkyWizard
Dabbler

Update:
I can add a very annoying bug to the Zyxel...
It appears, that randomly the wireless side of the unit will stop sending any data. This does clear up after about 30s, but is extremely annoying (especially when streaming music), so for that reason I'm going back to the Netgear until a new firmware is released.
***Update***
Gone back to the Netgear and the current version of the Zyxel firmware definitely has a WiFi problem.
Speedtest speeds are back up to 37.84/7.39 vs 19/5....
James
tangey
Grafter

I've come across a strange ommision on the Zyxel router.  In its control panel there is no way to tell it to attempt reconnection. I lost internet connection over the weekend, but the router didn't seem to know anything about it, nothing in the logs, and in the WAN config page (where you insert the username password etc), there was no connect/disconnect button to tell it to retry.
I turned everything off and on, but still I had no connection, back into the control panel and still no connect button.  So I erased the user name and re-inserted it again and hit apply.  Shortly after than I got back my internet connection, but whether it was because it tried again as a result of me inserting the username, or because it was retrying automatically...I have no way of knowing.
knowdice
Rising Star

It would have come back on it's own, my experience is that if the connection is just dropped (for what ever reason) it can take up to 5 minutes to reconnect.
I presume the PPPoE session has to time out.
That said, it certainly would be useful to have connect/disconnect controls...
hulls
Grafter

I also lost internet over the weekend and needed to restart the router.  The network was fine, the panel said that everything was connected, but I couldn't get out to the internet.  After a restart ( and a couple of minutes wait), everything was fine again.
That, along with the need to "upgrade to the professional product" in order to be able to stealth ports, means that this router would not be my first choice if I was going out to look for new kit.
John
SJR01

Dave,  FTTC Install on Friday.... but have been testing the NETGEAR router in advance, and am noticing a marked difference in signal quality/ range compared to steam-driven exiting router: I'd like to try one of the Zyxel NBG-417N for a direct comparision.
Many thanks
Stuart (royston01)
Birdzilla

If you still have any left, please can I try one.
gckwang2

Anymore of this router available, I would like to try it out.
Thank in advance.
marshmallow

I cannot get my laptop to connect to the netgear at more than 72 so I would like to see if this box improves things. Please send me one if possible.
citruszest
Dabbler

I will try one if available to compair to the netgear. 
Hamula
Dabbler

If the Netgear has known issues on wifi, then I would like to try this one if there are any left please, as I cannot get above 54mbps.