cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFTC Cabinet Checker

Adam1V
Grafter

FFTC Cabinet Checker

Is there such a place where I can check to see when the cabinet is going live?
We had Fibre enabled at our exchange a few weeks back (also confirmed live on BTs website), but I had 29th June in my head for our line being available for Fibre.
I've not been able to find this anywhere and its still showing as 'not available' in all the other checkers.
That being said, ive read on multiple sites that the checkers are not that accurate, alot of people with fibre already installed running the check  still showing as 'not being available' (despite using it already).
Any info would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: FFTC Cabinet Checker

Hello mate.
There was a google map with every cab pinpointed Here
However, that has been taken down....
BT has asked me to remove the FTTC postcode map. I did originally have permission to use the data, but Openreach has now objected.

There is probably a perfectly sensible reason for them wanting the data removed (e.g. someone torching cabinets that arent being enabled, to see if they'll gut them Tongue )
However its more than likely because BT want people to use Their data, no matter how (in)accurate. Stops people getting their hopes up.
My cab is quite a treck from the exchange, took about 6 weeks for them to put the cabinet in (as in physically on the concrete), and another ~4 weeks to get it set up (Power company had issues it seems)
how many is "a few" weeks mate?
My exchange was delayed 3 times, but trust me the waits worth it Smiley
Regards
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: FFTC Cabinet Checker

In my experience, the BT Wholesale checker has tended to give the most accurate results available to the general public.
If it specifies a date when FTTC service is available, then there are 2 ways to interpret it:
1) If the date is at a quarter end (eg 31st March, 30th June), or the day before/after, then this is a "provisional" date that they are working towards: BT have planned for that cabinet to be live sometime within that quarter, but don't know a date any more accurately. This date is, almost never, an actual go-live date... so never interpret it that way, and don't build your hopes up against these dates - even if it is coming up soon!
2) If the date specifies something definitive (ie not at a quarter-end) and usually within the next 2-3 weeks, then this has become an absolute date - and an order will be able to be made on that date.
Generally, the "provisional" date will change to a specific go-live date around 2 weeks before the cabinet will actually go live.
When the actual date is coming up to the end of the quarter (ie mid-March, mid-June, etc), BT's systems seem to automatically go around and adjust anything that still has a "provisonal" quarter-end date - and moves it back to the end of the next quarter. This cues a lot of disappointed complaints from the public, but to BT, it is merely a statement saying that the base plans have changed from Q2 to Q3 (or whatever).
As far as I can make out, most of the things that delay a cabinet are ... notice periods & avoiding fines. Even where BT don't need planning permission, they have to notify the council, and give a months notice. Any changes... another month. Then, to force utilities to co-ordinate their roadworks,  streetworks need their own notice periods - up to 3 months for the most major, but at least 10 days. And the laws aimed at reducing the delays (to road users) caused by roadworks allow for fines for overrunning work. Where BT (or the power company) encounters a problem, this really incentivises them to fill the hole in and start a new notice period.
The result is that you get less delays out on the road, but more delays when installing cabinets.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.