cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension Fitting Question

TBSteve
Grafter

Extension Fitting Question

My modem and router are located beside the master socket, and I use the wireless normally.
I would like the desktop to be cabled, so I can obtain the max speed I can :-).
If I wanted to cable up the desktop machine, what's the best way to go about it?
Do I add:
Option 1: an extenstion between the master socket and BT Openreach modem?
Option 2: a extenstion between the modem and the router?
Option 3: a extenstion between the router and the desktop?
Also what sort of cable? RJ11? RJ45?Cat5e?
[they could all be the same type of cable for all I know ;-)]
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Extension Fitting Question

Easy. Lan cable (RJ45/Cat5e) from router to PC.  Grin
tomm
Grafter

I left the modem next to the master socket. Thereby minimizing extension cable use for the modem because that is maintaining the VDSL sync to the cabinet.
I then bought a cat5e ethernet cable from scan and ran this from the modem to the router. I personally bought a flat cat 5e cable from scan.co.uk, I haven't looked everywhere but didn't see it anywhere else, which I considered the best for running under the carpet. You can buy upto 30m patch cables.
I like this setup also because I don't own the modem and by parking it next to the master socket tacked to the wall it's easy for anyone from BT to see I haven't messed with anything if any problems occur.
running for 6 months now and it's been great. Of course the benefit is that you then get the ethernet ports on the router in a more convenient location.
Alternatively you can consider 200Mb powerline - I also use these and unless severely impaired by interference they can max out the 40Mb of FTTC.
mikeyriot
Grafter

I'd go for the latter, I read in a post somewhere that its best to have a short cable between the modem and router, anyone confirm?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The modem to router is ethernet and Cat 5e ethernet cable is good for up to 100 meters at 100Mbps
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
WWWombat
Grafter

The cable for between faceplate & modem is *really* best kept short, so the modem should be located near the NTE. This cable would be an RJ11 thing, and usually doesn't come with twisted pairs. Discard option 1.
Options 2 or 3 are both ethernet links, so must follow standard ethernet conventions. Best to use Cat5e cable with RJ45 connectors at each end (assuming you aren't trying to build this into the building with wall sockets) for either 100Mbps or Gigabit ethernet.
As others have noted, ethernet makes for a maximum run of 100m. However... this standard assumes a combination of wiring: 90m of inflexible cable (all wires are single-stranded) used primarily as built-in wiring in the building, plus 2x 5m of the flexible, multi-stranded cable (aka "patch cables") to connect the sockets at either end of the building's wiring. There isn't actually a standard that tells you how far you can get with just patch cables above this 10m. You probably can go 20m-30m easily, but patch cables tend not to be sold any longer than this.
So, you can put the router where you like, so long as both the links are within those limits. I'd probably then follow one of these principles, if they apply:
- If the modem is located awkwardly (eg in the loft), then it is probably better to put the router somewhere less awkward.
- If the router is going to act as a wireless access point, then it should be best placed for coverage of your wireless network.
- If the router is going to be a central wired ethernet switch, then locate it to make the physical wiring easier.
- If you will want to make regular wired connections with other kit (cameras, networked discs, or video/media jukeboxes), then perhaps just near your desk.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
TBSteve
Grafter

Thanks WWWombat.
Any advice on getting the wife to agree to me running cables? 😉
WWWombat
Grafter

I find that the easier I make it to record/watch TV, the more leeway I get  Roll_eyes
The most recent, iPlayer on Wii, may have a lot to do with our increased usage. Thankfully it only has to mop up where the Toppy PVR fails us.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: TBSteve
Any advice on getting the wife to agree to me running cables? 😉

Yes, do what I do and use phone cable for LAN.  Wink
Proper CW1308 is 4-core twisted pair and is all you need for 100mbit. It's thin, unobtrusive, white, easy to bend round skirting etc and with the right sort of RJ45 plugs (for solid core usually) makes a good connection.
I took out some old surplus phone wiring recently then ran a new LAN cable along the same route (and more). SWMBO didn't even notice and still doesn't know.  Grin