Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Lines

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Exchange Lines

Is there anything on the grapevine regarding what BT intend doing about exchange lines with regards to fibre?
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Exchange Lines

Do you mean which exchanges are due to be upgraded? TBH we're not party to information beyond what the BT availability checker would be able to tell us here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Or do you mean lines which are direct from an exchange rather than through a street cabinet?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I read it as lines connected direct to the exchange - I can't see any other reason why the OP would ask such a question!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
glloyd
Rising Star

Sorry I thought I had made it clear. I was referring to lines connected direct to the exchange. There are loads around here.
tstaddon
Rising Star

Seconded on this - my line's direct to the exchange.
prichardson
Grafter

There is no news unfortunately on this.
The ANFP (Access Network Frequency Plan) prohibits installations served direct from the exchange being provided on FTTC. So until this is changed, there is unlikely to be be progress by BT other than possible future potential for fibre only services.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Surely the obvious solution to this is for a 'cabinet' to be installed inside the exchange!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

[contentious]
Would it not be the case that the vast majority of those on a direct exchange line have enjoyed the best (or very close to the best) that ADSL has to offer while others remote on cabinets have had to put up with meagre speeds at the same price, often struggling to get a tenth of the speed of those living near the exchange.
Now that the situation is slightly reversed, people near cabinets can get close to 40 or 80 Mb/s against 20Mb/s for many on exchange lines so not really such a big ratio AND at least those now enjoying the benefits of FTTC are paying extra for it.
[/contentious]
Appologies to those on direct exchange lines that don't recieve great ADSL (oh, and to a lesser extent those living next to a 20CN exchange)  Wink
I've heard before that they cannot (or will not) locate the VDSL2 equipment in the exchange for some reason though I can't see any reason for not sticking a cabinet against the back wall or surrounding fence near the exchange if necessary.  I suppose one argument is that those on short lines with an already excellent ADSL service would be proportionately less likely to pay the extra for FTTC.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
prichardson
Grafter

I'm trying to find the reference in the ANFP related to prohibited installation. In a nut shell it relates to cross-talk and it does quote a reason in the ANFP,  but don't quote me just yet that is the specific labelled reason in the weighty PDF.
In regards to direct exchange lines being shorter, not always the case, however, the average length is most certainly shorter.
Depending on a customers network needs and plant availability, it is possible to place DEL (direct exchange line) orders for some addresses services by CABs. The longer length the line, the less chance of being able to though.
These runs can often be longer than lines services by CABs closer to the exchange.
Some of the PDFs for ref are
www.niccstandards.org.uk/files/current/nd1602_2005_08.pdf?type=PDF
This is version three. Line types are defined on page 6 and this information is unchanged from newer versions.
Green is a diect exchange line. Pink, amber and blue is a SLU setup (used for FTTC). Pink with blue (without amber) is SMPF, used for ADSL (which is SLU/FTTC compatible).
This then refers you to section B for SDF specifications that allow FTTC, and section D for direct exchange lines which do not.
Section D advises that currently section A masks cover the transmission capabilities for signals produced at the MDF without a SDP.
In a nut shell, if you look at the mask assigned in Section A versus Section B, you will see that VDSL allows (back when it was 40/10 only, not on the newer VDSL2 profiles used for 80/20) requires more frequencies that are permitted.
http://www.niccstandards.org.uk/files/current/ND1602-2011-09_v5.1.1.pdf?type=pdf
Version 5.1.1 of the doc (there is a version 4 too)
The same sections apply for review of masks. Section D confirms again to refer to section A for the mask. Section B shows the additional mask needed for 80/20.
Section A shows an un-changed mask, meaning not even 40/10 is supported still.
glloyd
Rising Star

Looks like there is hope if councils get their acts together which is unlikely with Essex County Council. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5310-signs-of-progress-for-those-with-an-exchange-only-telephone-...
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The second FTTP exchange - Highams Park, had some lines which were exchange fed which were upgraded to FTTP. Some of the other FTTP exchanges were also being looked at to see if the exchange fed lines could be upgraded to FTTP. I'm not sure how many more areas have been done yet but can check. Some of the later phases of the fibre rollout have included mixed economy rollouts where some areas get FTTC and some FTTP so there are chances that more exchange fed lines will get FTTP. Whether they will go back and infill the areas at exchanges that already have FTTC or not I don't know yet but do keep asking.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
w23
Pro

Just saw this, see link in OP http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105811.0/topicseen.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
godsell4
Rising Star

My understanding, which could be 100% wrong, is that on small exchanges which have every user on an EO line (like mine) is currently in the situation where BT have no date set for WBC/21CN or FTTX. All that I believe is being considered is those people who live very close to the exchange may be offered FTTX, which I guess would be FTTP effectively.
BTO are sitting on thier hands until they get BDUK funds before they add any cabinets to the homes served by EO only exchanges. My EO line is 6.2km long, if BTO do install a cabinet, they will put it where there are a group of houses, that would still make the cabinet about 2km away from the house, where VDSL would give me maybe 20Mb.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
glloyd
Rising Star

Nearly 4 years since the original post and still no further forward.