cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daytime just under 30Mb evening under 12Mb - Normal?

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Daytime just under 30Mb evening under 12Mb - Normal?

I'm still getting used to being in the fast lane so I can't help making repeated visits to MyBroadbandSpeed and there seems to be an emerging pattern. Am I right to think that the speeds recorded are down to the available bandwidth at the cabinet and the number of users online?
The Openreach engineer said that his tests showed 40Mb/s at the cabinet and 30Mb/s when he was testing my installation at the new master socket. He said that contractually he had to ensure there was a minimum of 15Mb/s. Anyone know if this is correct and if so, is that on an ongoing basis or just at the time of testing?
I'm not complaining - just wondering as I am about how to close support tickets - be damned if I can work out how to close the tickets I've got open. I can add further comments but there's no option to close?Huh
8 REPLIES 8
phil4
Grafter

Re: Daytime just under 30Mb evening under 12Mb - Normal?

I've always found mybroadbandspeed to be a bit naff, unable to cope with FTTC
I always seem to get 12-16Mb with it, but in reality I'm getting 35+, as measured elsewhere.
Most consistent has been BTs speedtest
So no, speeds are influenced by everything including the speed tester site.
Yes I think installcfail if less then 15Mb but only at install time or if you raise a fault.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: phil4
I've always found mybroadbandspeed to be a bit naff, unable to cope with FTTC

Smiley It was what the OR engineer wanted me to try before he left and also what +Net  point users at. I realise that they all vary but it is the quickest/easiest I've found.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the tickets you want to close were raised by Plusnet you can't close them - they have to be closed by Plusnet. They will self-close if left inactive (awaiting your response) for 14 days.
If their presence is a nuisance you can respond confirming the issue is resolved and requesting Plusnet to close the ticket.
David
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: longedge
also what +Net  point users at. I realise that they all vary but it is the quickest/easiest I've found.

Yup. I think because it was good for ADSL/ADSL2+ but like I say, BT Speedtester is the best for FTTC at the moment, the rest are inconsistent.
FWIW, Virgin have the same problem with their faster offerings: http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/speedtesters/
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: spraxyt
If the tickets you want to close were raised by Plusnet you can't close them - they have to be closed by Plusnet. They will self-close if left inactive (awaiting your response) for 14 days.
If their presence is a nuisance you can respond confirming the issue is resolved and requesting Plusnet to close the ticket.

Not a nuisance - it's just my tidy streak coming out. That explains it though thanks. There are only 3 so I'll just let them 'die'.
puffin
Grafter

Quote from: phil4
BT Speedtester is the best for FTTC at the moment, the rest are inconsistent.

By BT Speedtester you're talking about speedtester.bt.com?  Because if you are you should be aware that this tester is direct to BT and so doesn't have any PlusNet traffic shaping applied.  Because of this it is a terrible test of real world speed, and should only be used to check your sync speed and line capability. 
However, if you are seeing no change in speed from BT Speedtester but big changes on mybroadbandspeed.co.uk then you need to speak with plusnet to find out why.  If you're not on Pro it could just be network congestion, but it could also be a profile problem.  I haven't seen any change on mybroadbandspeed.co.uk for months (I get 37Mbps 24hrs a day).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The BT speedtester Test 1 does go through Plusnet but all traffic is placed in the Platinum queue and not traffic shaped.
David
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've found mybroadbandspeed.co.uk to be reasonably OK with FTTC and speedtest.net a bit better. If OP is seeing slow speeds in the evening this could be due to traffic management. Web traffic on both Value and Extra Fibre is limited to 20Mb between 6 and 11pm and Value was limited to 10Mb between 8 and 10pm until this was "fixed" a couple of days ago. See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml