Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current BT ADSL customer looking to join Plusnet FTTP

jim1985
Grafter

Current BT ADSL customer looking to join Plusnet FTTP

Hi there,

A friend of mine has recently discovered that FTTP is available at his house, below is a screenshot of the details of his line on the BT DSL Checker.

Danny FTTP.jpg

Currently his phone line and ADSL Broadband service is provided by BT but as he is unhappy with BT Retail for a number of reasons he would like to join Plusnet and also join the FTTP Trial offered by yourselves.

Am I correct in thinking that my friend would have to do the following:

• Migrate his existing telephone line and ADSL broadband service from BT over to Plusnet
  • Wait for line and ADSL service to go live with Plusnet and then register for the FTTP Trial over at http://trials.plus.net
  • Wait excitedly for his FTTP request to be actioned
  • Become even more excited when FTTP is finally installed and he's able to enjoy much greater speeds than the barely 2mb that he is currently able to receive

Thank you for any advice that you are able to offer.

Regards,

Jim.

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Current BT ADSL customer looking to join Plusnet FTTP

@jim1985

Yes that is the sequence of events.

Just 3 things to think about before action

1. Plusnet FTTP Speeds are either 40/2 Mbps (yes 2 up) or 80/20 Mbps and charged at the same price as FTTC (as the speeds are the same).

2. Search for the best Plusnet deal going

3. Length of contract for the initial ADSL/phone deal.

I'll expand on the 3rd one here. When joining Plusnet there is going to be a minimum contract period for the phone and ADSL. Once on FTTP, the FTTP part is a rolling monthly contract as it is a trial and could in theory be closed. (I've been on it 3 years now and some for more so not necessarily going to happen).

But your friend will still be in a contract for the phone and Plusnet may argue that the ADSL contract carries over to the FTTP part.

And one great benefit of Plusnet FTTP is that you don't need to have a working phone line once you are out of contract on the phone line. I use VOIP so only pay for FTTP with the £2.50 per month charge for not having a phone line with Plusnet (or anyone). A great saving for me.

So your friend may not want the longest contract with Plusnet if they wish to save more money and remove the phone line at the earliest opportunity.

Hope that is clear enough.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@SpendLessTime wrote:

... When joining Plusnet there is going to be a minimum contract period for the phone and ADSL. Once on FTTP, the FTTP part is a rolling monthly contract as it is a trial and could in theory be closed. (I've been on it 3 years now and some for more so not necessarily going to happen).

But your friend will still be in a contract for the phone and Plusnet may argue that the ADSL contract carries over to the FTTP part.

And one great benefit of Plusnet FTTP is that you don't need to have a working phone line once you are out of contract on the phone line. I use VOIP so only pay for FTTP with the £2.50 per month charge for not having a phone line with Plusnet (or anyone). A great saving for me.

So why not just move the ADSL to PN without the phone, then there is no phone contract to worry about?  Wink

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@RobPN

Nice bit of lateral thinking there. Yes just moving the ADSL from BT ( so no issues with LLU) and once FTTP is up and running,  cease the BT phone line if that is what your friend is happy with.

Some people will still want a phone line and if that is so, then again just move ADSL to Plusnet, wait for FTTP and then move phone to a cheap provider like Pulse 8 broadband on a phone only £13 per month no minimum contract.

(edit to get price correct for line only at Pulse)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Correction

The £6 is only if you have Pulse8 broadband otherwise it is £13

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @jim1985, SpendLessTime has pretty much summed this up.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jim1985
Grafter

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I shall let my friend know the course of action that he needs to take. Hopefully he shall be a Plusnet FTTP customer before long Smiley