Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Splice Point (CSP) location & approval

Wheeldo
Dabbler

Consumer Splice Point (CSP) location & approval

Hi all,

Just about to sign-up for the FTTP trial, but would like to check something please: -

If the Openreach engineer arrives to install the CSP and their suggestion is to dig things up / run cabling in unsightly places etc... is it possible to not proceed at this point?

I understand there may be a call out fee to cover the engineer's time and I'm fine with this; just wanted to ensure it would be possible to cancel at this point and remain on our current ADSL connection.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Consumer Splice Point (CSP) location & approval

What does the ADSL Checker say for your phone number - in particular against "FTTP Install Process". It should say "1 stage" or "2 stage". Also what dies the FTTP narrative below the results say - it should have something about your feed.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Wheeldo
Dabbler

Hi Brian,

Here's what I see: -

Wheeldo
Dabbler

Sorry - thought it might put the image in-line...

The details are: -

• Downstream Line Rate (Mbps): Up to 330
  • Upstream Line Rate (Mbps): Up to 30
  • Downstream Range (Mbps): --
  • WBC FTTP availability Date: Available
  • FTTP Install Process: 1 Stage

Thanks

bmc
Hero

One stage means only one visit and no CSP on the outside of the house. You didn't say what the narrative said but the fibre cable will follow the route of your phone line to your house. To install they drill through the wall and then put an optical Network Terminator (ONT) on an inside wall beside a power supply. There is a bit of leeway as to where they drill through the wall and inside as to where the ONT goes. They'll run the fibre cable round the skirting boards but not through walls.

This gives some idea of the process

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

Brian

Wheeldo
Dabbler

Ah, ok: that makes sense.

If they drill straight though - there's a integrated fridge-freezer behind the wall... so hopefully there is some leeway!

Sorry: didn't include the narrative... here's what it says: -

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed Not Evaluated.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

bmc
Hero

The bit that matters is "UG feed not evaluated" - basically it's an underground feed through your phone duct which has not been checked to see if there are any blockages. Mine had "proven clear" which I knew meant the network install team had checked the duct because I watched them do it. In fact they left a draw rope in place for the house install.

Once they get the fibre cable to your property I believe they can attach it to the outside of the house - a bit like satellite cables. However I believe they only do so at ground level so won't go past doors. They drill from the inside so you know exactly where the hole will be. Once the cable is inside they strip it back to the optical core.

Brian

Wheeldo
Dabbler

Thanks Brian, that's really helpful.

If they discover the phone duct has a blockage which would need the garden digging up to clear - I'm assuming it's ok at that point to cancel the sign-up process?!

Much as I want fibre, I don't want the garden wrecking!

bmc
Hero

Can't really help with blocked ducts. My property is 20 years old. When the network team checked 5 houses from the chamber serving me one was blocked but they were able to push through from the other end. However, all 5 house were under 20m from the chamber.

I would suspect OpenReach have a number of tricks to deal with blocked ducts and digging would be a last resort. I would also suspect it would be a "targeted" dig in that they would know how far down the duct the blockage is so if they did have to dig in your garden it potentially would only be a small hole. Gardens can recover - your speed won't get any better without fibre!!!

Brian