Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity issues

Muppet

Connectivity issues

Hi,
I'm hoping you guys can help 😕
I'm on the FTTC trial, and am experiencing the following issues :
jitter / latency spikes - for example, listening to radio over IP on my desktop machine the feed will be frequently interupted
gaming - online gaming on PS3 is un-playable, I get frequently signed out during play, and Killzone see's my jitter / latency as a possible hack (lag switch) and therefore kicks me from games. Gaming on 360 also incurs spikes in lag
Web Browsing - some web sites seem to stall mid-load, or take multiple refreshes to load.
MSN - messenger occasionally reports that we have been signed out, and then reconnects itself, as though there has been a brief interruption in the internet connection.
We have 3 laptops, and 2 desktops here (although only my wife and I use the machines) and we know it is not the machines themselves as these issues happen on all (inc PS3 & 360)
I've swapped the router, from a draytek 2820n which we used for the last year with virgin media 50mb service with no problems, for the netgear provided by plusnet but no improvement. I've tried switching to opendns to prove that it is not a DNS issue. 360, ps3, desktop are all connected via wired connections so that is not the issue.
I think there is an issue with either the BT modem or the circuit (having eliminated all other components / factors).
At present we get around 37MB download and around 8MB upload, but I wonder are there any settings you guys can tweak at your end to perhaps peg the speed back a little but improve the reliability of the connection ? Is there anyway I can interrogate the BT modem to get information from it relating to connections and disconnections ?
8 REPLIES 8
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Connectivity issues

There have been several reports of the BT "modem" going faulty...is yours running hot or smelling hot?
Muppet

It is very hot to the touch - but I assumed that was normal 😕
dick:quote
knowdice
Rising Star

The one I have is warm to the touch.
Next time you have the problem may be either turn the modem off for a while or if you have a fan see if you can cool it.
And back to you original question...AFAIK there is nothing Plusnet can tweak in the modem 😞
Muppet

Appreciate the advice, but the problem is permanent, the modem is wall mounted well clear of any radiators etc and well ventilated, turning broadband access off  is not really an ideal solution Smiley
dick:quote
jedi98
Grafter

I think knowdice is trying to say that if you cool the modem and the problem goes away then you will have identified that the modem is at the root of the problem, not that you should use that as a permenant solution. My modem (huawei type) is warmish, not hot.
I think that if a modem feels really hot that that is a fault in it's own right.
knowdice
Rising Star

Thanks Jedi68 that's what I was trying to say...
Do some simple tests, show that it's faulty and raise a ticket to get it replaced...
Muppet

Quote from: knowdice
Do some simple tests, show that it's faulty and raise a ticket to get it replaced...

Cheers, appreciate the assistance Smiley
Have left it off overnight, and so far today it is only warm to the touch, will monitor it later today
knowdice
Rising Star

Just to try and define the temperature of my modem.
With a room temperature of 18degC and the modem sitting on the floor temperature of the top cover measures 32degC