cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems

ricnewb

Connection problems

After 7 months of excellent stability my connection has almost disappeared over the last few days.
Initial problem was about 15 drops in a day, but it always reconnected.
This has since deteriorated so now the modem continually retries but never re-syncs unless I turn it off for a few minutes (I've left it for over 10 hours at a time) . After I turn the modem back on it will usually sync quickly, stay up for a couple of minutes, drop, re-sync just once, then disconnect until I re-power it.
Is this going to need escalating to BT?
4 REPLIES 4
ricnewb

Re: Connection problems

My connection seems stable this morning so I thought I’d give some feedback.
For the past 2 weeks my modem has had trouble maintaining sync. Connections have typically lasted only a few minutes. (I’ve had well over 80 different IPs in the last fortnight.)
During this time I’ve noticed:
1. Once the modem has lost sync for more than a minute it will never re-sync unless I do something, like power cycle it. I’ve left it alone for many hours and it has never reconnected.
2. If I power off the modem, and then power it on again within a couple of minutes, it doesn’t re-sync, even if left alone for several hours.
3. If I power off the modem and leave it off for several hours (always at least one hour) before I power it on, it always re-syncs immediately. The connection then stays up for a while, perhaps for 10 minutes, then drops, re-syncs automatically in under a minute, then drops a second time after a much shorter period e.g. 4 minutes.
At this point, after two sessions, it will not re-sync even if left alone for many hours.
4. On two occasions I have powered down the modem whilst a connection was up and working, and then left the modem off for several hours.
On both occasions, after powering on the modem, the first sync session was of a normal length but the second session was very much longer. The first time I tried this the session lasted 5 hours. On the second occasion (now) my session has remained up for 15 hours.
So, looking a lot more stable today and at the moment I feel I can rely on the connection staying up (hope I don’t regret saying that).
Of course during this time my connection speed has steadily dropped, from well over 30Mb/s for the seven months up until a fortnight ago, to its current state of around 9Mb/s (upload 670kb/s). Plus reports my profile speed as 10,000 at the moment. As the speed has dropped my connection times have increased from around 3 minutes to around 20 minutes, but it seems to be the power-cycling whilst in an active session that has had the biggest impact (or maybe that is just a coincidence).
YellaFella
Grafter

Past 3 days I've been getting extreme issues, including logging on to plus net site, I keep getting the dreaded green and white page of BT Wholesale errors. Shows an IP address and unable to connect.
It seems cached pages are fine but with limited text/picture viewing. The initial time I saw this was because of my NAS which I have fixed as it had a conflicting IP address but past few days I've been getting the connection issues again even with it switched off grrrr... so fustrating!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

ricnewb - looks like Ben's run some tests on your line and sent the fault off to BT to take a look at to see if they can see what's wrong.
YellaFella - saw another post saying the same thing last week. Try specifying the DNS servers as per this post and see if it makes any difference:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90528.0.html
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Pogdin
Dabbler

*Touch wood*.......... I haven't had the dreaded BT Wholesale website since specifying the DNS servers..........