Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concentrator not reachable and BTopenreach computer says no

gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Concentrator not reachable and BTopenreach computer says no

Right Ben thanks.
One more thought, my telephone extensions from the master socket currently have the bell wire removed to reduce interference pickup.  As a consequence I had to fit an ADSL filter at one of my old phones to get it to ring.  Is it permissible to leave an ADSL filter in the extension telephone circuit once the new VDSL front plate is fitted to the master socket? I am assuming that basically the phone port should be pretty well isolated from the data port, but I did note that the FAQ said no ADSL filters.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The BT Openreach engineer will install a fitted faceplate so filters aren't needed.
P.S. If you don't have a fitted ADSL faceplate in your current setup, you should have all internal devices filtered, regardless of the bell wire.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

To clarify situation - my current setup is master socket (not ADSL faceplate) has one short tel ext lead to my comms cupboard where I have a socket.
This has an external ADSL filter/splitter - the ADSL gear plugs in there and my other house tel extensions plug in to the filtered output of the ADSL filter.
So all my house telephones are filtered currently. The bell wire on the extensions is not used (as a precaution against noise pickup) - I needed an additional  filter at just one of the telephones because it had no ringing capacitor and would not ring without this filter which has the capacitor.
I propose that the engineer installs his faceplate for VDSL in the cupboard (as we have power there). This will save any new wiring or extension data cables. I can remove the ADSL filter to the telephone extensions, but would still need the bell capacitor provided by the ADSL filter at the old phone in order for the ringing to work ( I think).  If it turns out to be a problem I could probably wire in the bell wires again.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It sounds like there might be a problem with the capacitor in the master socket causing the telephone to not ring. This would be replaced due to the installation of the faceplate so I expect that the problem might go away.
In normal practice with normal ADSL, there's no problem double-filtering telephone devices and I sometimes even recommend this if they appear to be putting RF interference down the cable. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if you could keep the extra filter on your telephone.
I'd definitely ask the installation engineer their opinion as they might be able to tell you the reason behind the strange behaviour of the phone and test it with the new faceplate.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks Ben, I will let you know what I find out when BT engineer does the install.
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

4 weeks, no service and counting
Also, just to be clear, no BT appointment has been raised I don't believe a fault ahs been raised either. There is no timescale to resolution.
Plusnet are unable - and I don't really get why - to raise a fault, make an appointment and get a BTO engineer on the case who can talk to the right people in BT Wolesale until the account is sorted.
Ho hum.
As it happens, I'm getting a second line installed - it won't be with this service provider.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Gosh, that is pretty bad news. I would like to think that between PN and BT they could have got this sorted out in 4 weeks.
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Monday 4 Oct
Well another week goes by and there is no service. That's 5 weeks in total without service
A flurry of activity on Thursday when BT were booked to take a peek on Friday afternoon.
I was asked when I could be in etc so in a flush of excitement decided to rearrange my life as the necessary 'take it for the team' pain to get back on broadband.
Was in all day. No show.  Sad
There is a glimmer of light though - an update to the ticket raised early on Friday - something about an engineer's report. I wonder if the appointment wasn't a home visit - just an escalation to BT? Wouldn't surprise me. Nothing has gone very well in resolving this issue.
Kept the ticket moving with some feedback but no replies from PN. on Friday or over the weekend or this morning  Angry
I didn't ever get any service after my ADSL was disconected.... I wonder if I'm actually on a trial?? I don't appear to be on anything at all and it is apparent that it is not a high priority in PN to fix.
I did pay my monthly fee last week though! No problems with collecting payments I'm glad to see....... Cheesy
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Oh yes, and I'm still getting the same error message "concentrator not reachable"
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I can only commiserate and congratulate you on your patience and calmness. I would be through the roof by a week, never mind 5 weeks.
bluewhale
Rising Star

personally i would start a new thread if i were you, maybe 1 a day with the down time day count in the title
maybe someone will notice then..
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I'm really sorry it's still not working, I've been trying to get hold of BT all morning without any luck. If I get no answer by the end of the day I'm going to try and switch you back to ADSL to least get service back.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Been speaking to BTW to try and find out, what happened. Looks like the engineer appointment never made it to Openreach for some reason from BTW, don't know but I've now escalated it with our account manager to try and find out and I've also asked about reverting back to ADSL and if we can get that done this week. I'll reply back when I know more.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

it seems that my line is OK as far as the hardware is concerned. The problem is not the physical connection. I have a BT Openreach guy here but his job has no details of how to sort. He wasn't expecting a plusnet issue he thought he would find a BT infinity home hub when he rocked up here. BTO are talking to BTW and it's painful. If there was such a thing as a process for resolving account issues back into BTW I would like to know what it is so I can help myself out!
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

7 weeks, no service