cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concentrator not reachable and BTopenreach computer says no

mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Re: Concentrator not reachable and BTopenreach computer says no

I checked through the FAQ and it does indeed say under point 32 that if the install doesn't work on the day that the adsl will be rolled back - presumably to maintain original service levels. Well it didn't happen for me.
Therefore, in my case, the engineer either didn't do what the FAQ said he was supposed to or he believed that the green light on the modem was enough. I have no idea what he did because i wasn't sat watching him.
I would say that this is a major learning point for the trial and a clear example of something which needs to be pointed out in the FAQ.
I suggest something should be added to the FAQ along the lines of  "Before the engineer leaves, login with your account credentials to prove connectivity for your account back through BT Wholesale and run a speed test to demonstrate the performance of the system as-installed". Should it not be possible to log in with your credentials, or if a speed test proves impossible or unexpectedly slow, then do not accept the installation and make it clear that unless the issues can be resolved on the day you expect the ADSL service to be reinstated"
At least there would be some check on the quality of the installation - which hopefully would normally be excellent anyway.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

An excellent suggestion, I'll make sure it's passed on.
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

3 weeks. No service.
Hugo
Dabbler

mrtigerfish,
I'm having the concentrator not reachable issue and have had no service for a week. Plusnet have been their usual great selves and I had an BT engineer appointment his morning between 8am and 1pm. I took the morning off, but no one called to the house or rang. One of the folk at plusnet is going to look out for the engineer report this afternoon to see if anything was done outside my home and get back to me. If I get a resolution to the issue I will post any information here. I hope this doesn't drag out into 3 weeks for me!
Hugo
Hugo
Dabbler

Update:
- Engineer arrived yesterday and tested the connection into the house, which of course was fine.
- Tried calling different departments, none of which knew that plusnet was on the trial and none of which could locate my connection and credentials
- He left and called me back at 8.45pm (finished his shift at 7pm) and said finally found someone with a bit of knowledge and returned this morning
- He tried a BT business hub with my login - no good
- He tried a BT home hub with my login - no good
- He got a couple of guys on the phone who could finally see me on the system
- We then proceeded to try the bt_test@ and the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net logins
- the bt_test@ one wasn't successful suggesting that there is an issue with the BT setup and not plusnets
- Next they are going to try and change my ports at the cabinet this afternoon to see if its a faulty port
- if not, the engineer can do no more and this will have to be progressed to the next stage/dept.
😞
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the update, if bt_test@ didn't work then it's definitely a faulty MSAN. The change of port should solve it for you but as always, please let us know if we can help.
Hugo
Dabbler

Thanks Ben, I'll put an update on the forum tonight or tomorrow morning.
tomm
Grafter

Hello Ben,
A suggestion ... for any routers you send out with FTTC or FTTP deployments you could include the information on which BT test credentials to use if the PlusNet credentials fail and explain what the customer should do if any/all particular set of credentials fail. i.e. whether the BT engineer is going to have to investigate and fix the problem or whether it's likely a PlusNet  or user error (mistyped/forgotten password).
Perhaps re-emphasise in the instructions not to let the BT engineer leave until a full working connection is demonstrated including a speed test - I don't think you can tell your customers this point enough - not forgetting to provide a cup of tea/biscuit for the engineer  ;). If the user can demonstrate the initial installation has failed it will hopefully result in something like this getting resolved a lot quicker and save a lot of heartache for everyone.
I think there's no point paying for and putting up with an engineer install if he's going to leave behind something that doesn't work, perhaps through a faulty card or whatever. It can only help the engineer if you ensure your customers demonstrate a working connection before he leaves.
Tom.
Hugo
Dabbler

well, well, well.... Its actually fixed!
They put me through a new port at the cabinet and I'm now back online.
Happy days!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Excellent news! How are your speeds? What router are you using?
Hugo
Dabbler

I'll check when i get home.
He used a BT home hub whilst he was there so I'm not sure if he has left this, I was only on the phone to him and I don't believe he plugged my router back in. Up until then I've been using the Thomson one (585v7 i think)
I'll post back later - provided the connection is still working when i get home... lol...
Hugo
Dabbler

Ben,
I'm getting 30 download and 7 upload. Same as I was before I got the problem.
Thanks
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Excellent news, glad to hear that everything's working OK.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Quote from: tomm
Hello Ben,
A suggestion ... for any routers you send out with FTTC or FTTP deployments you could include the information on which BT test credentials to use if the PlusNet credentials fail and explain what the customer should do if any/all particular set of credentials fail. i.e. whether the BT engineer is going to have to investigate and fix the problem or whether it's likely a PlusNet  or user error (mistyped/forgotten password).

Ben , I am due to get FTTC installed next week and I am going to use my own Apple Airport Extreme router. (So will not be receiving any PN router).
Would it be possible to email me the information I require for setup?
I assume it is exactly the same user account name (myusername@plus.net) and password as the ADSL router uses and Plusnet for service name?
(Using PPOE). Is there anything else I should know. [ I have studied the FAQ].
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You've got everything that you need there Smiley