cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concentrator not reachable and BTopenreach computer says no

mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Concentrator not reachable and BTopenreach computer says no

After a first brief visit to my house BT Openreach called off and decided the FTTC wouldn't function without further work at the exchange. The ADSL was disabled and took a few hours to come back.
Cumulative downtime 6 hours
A second visit was organised and this time the new master socket was installed, the modem installed and no reported issues. However, I wasn't able to log in with my account details so no internet ... BTo ran off before it could be tested with my credentials. no lovely high speed internet or in fact any internet. An error message about a concentrator not being reachable. Plusnet were on the case quickly but the BTO computer said no. Not possible to raise a fault on an install until the install is closed out. What?
Cumulative downtime 12 hours - still not bad consiidering the potential reward.
A day passes and BTO close out the install but plusnet's Ben can't persuade them to raise a fault despite an hour on the phone.
cumulative downtime 36 hours and no fault raised 18 hours after fault inception. Ben thinks it might be a faulty BTO modem.
Full marks to plusnet for trying but 2 out of 10 for achievement in getting service out of BTO.
If you're one of the first non-BT FTTC users on your exchange, buyer beware.
I'll take this on the chin for a bit because we all know that the processes need ironing out. However, it can't go on forever. I reckon I will hear that the fault is raised in another day and then get an idea of time to resolution.
Anyone else have the isue with concentrator not reachable or poor service from BTO?
Tigerfish
46 REPLIES 46
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Concentrator not reachable and BTopenreach computer says no

I presume you've read this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88204.16.html , some people there were reporting 'concentrator not reachable'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Thanks for the link. No, I haven't seen the thread.
I'm now very afraid.
Fish
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

It gets better.
Ben has been chasing BTO a lot and despite now being able to raise a fault with BTO, he was not able to raise an appointment to sort it out.
An hour on the phone and no success in booking a slot.
Keep it up Ben and watch out in case you sign up for this experience!
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Lots of chasing by plusnet but no appointment made with BTO to fix the problem. Nothing anyone can do without BTO extrac ting digit.
84 hours cumulative internet downtime as a result of going for FTTC and still no light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm really surprised at BTO concerning how they have treated this case.
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

I know this is becoming bloglike.
However, 5 and a bit days with a BT side fault and although the fault is logged (that took a while) the booking to fix it has not yet been made. Plusnet have tried to arrange the appointment but the BTO desk has said no.
cumulative downtime 126 hours and counting.
When it's a new trial, do you think there should be an escalting mechanism? An agreed service level between plusnet and BTO?
I'm now on 3g internet shared over my router to keep the family online. It's costing PAYG rates i.e. 15 quid for 3GB but keeps us on internet at HSPDA type speed (a real 2.5mbits/s)
If you really want to join the trial, beware if it goes wrong. However, for most people it doesn't go wrong. And the plusnet guys are helpful and will push your individual case.
Fish
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Now 1 week with an unspecified FTTC fault, fault logged but no appointment to fix.
This means, of course, no broadband through the wires at all in that time.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry about the delays looking into this fault, as it's a trial we're still identifying the processes we need to implement to address faults in a timely manner. I've poked the agent working on fibre faults so we will hopefully have an update for you later today.
P.S. For anyone wondering - there's a Ben who works in the Faults Team, it's not me Smiley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Craig tried to call you earlier and couldn't get through so I thought I'd post an update here. BT are still working on their system problems that mean we can't book an appointment for you, I'm really sorry about the continued delay. We'll keep our eye on things and let you know as soon as we have an update.
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

Moved from ADSL2+ to (allegedly) FTTC on 31 August but no service since then. No ADSL and no FTTC.
16 days of no service, no fault raised and an open ended timescale to resolve.
My personal ticket shows a rapid response by plusnet but an equally rapid running out of options to escalate.
BT Wholesale won't raise a fault on my account because after two and a bit weeks the computer says no.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would you like us to move you back to ADSL/ADSL2+?
mrtigerfish
Dabbler

No, as Craig reminded me on the phone, I signed up for a trial with no guarantee of any service at all  - D'oh (What was I thinking and why I don't I read the T&C's?????)
I'll wait it out and hope for the best. Let's face it, the service can only improve.
I don't like what BTO are doing - leaving the install job open to prevent faults being raised against the line. To me, that doesn't seem to be playing the game - trial or not.
Clearly the bridge case is an ineffective route to resolution based on my limited data of 16 days and no progress.
And anyway, should i have to keep paying when there is no service?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Once we've got you back up and running please let me know and I'll apply a discount equivalent to the time you were without service.
tomm
Grafter

Quote from: mrtigerfish
A second visit was organised and this time the new master socket was installed, the modem installed and no reported issues. However, I wasn't able to log in with my account details so no internet ... BTo ran off before it could be tested with my credentials.

Hi Ben/Dave,
What kind of service are the BTO engineers meant to provide for a non-BT-retail ISP? If it's a BT Retail customer I understand from the guys that visited me that they setup the home hub and everything which I guess means they know for sure whether the connection is working or not. Should the engineers disappear before a pppoe connection has been proven to work as described by the OP?
During my installation the engineers didn't disappear until a pppoe connection was established and we'd run a speed test using speedtest.net, but whether that was part of their 'duty' or not I didn't know.
On this point, I had a look through the FAQ and it says:
32. What happens if FTTC doesn’t work on install day?
The engineer is on site to ensure that the service works before leaving. In the event that service doesn’t work the install will be aborted and your existing ADSL service will be reactivated as part of the appointment. If the problem with the install can be resolved a new appointment slot can be booked.

But from that it's not clear at what point the engineer would say the the service 'works', sync or pppoe connection.
If the BT engineer is supposed to check that a pppoe connection is established then perhaps you should emphasize to knew signups not to let the BT engineer disappear until that's been achieved. At least that gives an opportunity for a fix or a rollback to ADSL.
Tom.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

AFAIK, the engineer will get the PPPoE connection up and running, regardless of the ISP. It's been noted in other threads that the engineer was unfamiliar with the Thomson router so obviously gave it a go.
Dave will be able to give an answer on their policies, he's back from leave on Monday.