Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco SPA 100 ATA

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Cisco SPA 100 ATA

Daft question for some and yes, I have read the instructions but do I connect the ATA to the wifi router, or the hub/box that's fixed to the wall. Seems I should use the blue cable supplied but the router only has yellow connections and the hub/box black ones....and why does it have two telephone points? I'm guessing it's for a VoIP telephone.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
55 REPLIES 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cisco SPA 100 ATA

You'd want to connect the cable to the router, the colour of the sockets / wires have nothing to do with it, only aesthetics. The two connections are for POTS or plain ordinary telephones, as VoIP phones usually use a LAN cable.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Minivanman BTW have you got the SPA112 or the SPA122 ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

@Anonymous

OK thanks, will give it a go cheers.

As regards to those two telephone connections, how would an ordinary (ADSL) telephone work plugged directly into a fibre line?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@MisterW

SPA112 - the one with two telephone sockets. 

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman Bear in mind that the 'SPA xxx ATA' devices have routing capabilities so that might be an additional thing to bear in mind.  At a guess that will probably need to be disabled.

The "hub/box that's fixed to the wall" would be better referred to as the ONT.  Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

As backup and to allow you to use the system when no VoIP phones are available.

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

ONT, thanks Smiley

How would I disable the routing capabilities?

Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

SPA112 - the one with two telephone sockets.

@Minivanman both the 112 and the 122 have two telephone sockets!

The 112 has one Ethernet(WAN) connection(BLUE) wheras the 122 has two Ethernet connections, one LAN(yellow) and one WAN(Blue).

It matters as @RobPN says because the 122 has routing cabability and this will need disabling in the setup

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Minivanman
Legend

@Anonymous

"As backup and to allow you to use the system when no VoIP phones are available"

I don't get that sorry.

Surely if an ordinary phone worked when plugged into the ONT then there would be no need for an ATA?

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN

How would I disable the routing capabilities?

That just seems a logical step to me, but I don't have any experience of those units

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As backup and to allow you to use the system when no VoIP phones are available"

I don't get that sorry.

Surely if an ordinary phone worked when plugged into the ONT then there would be no need for an ATA?

Forget backup, some ATA's have the ability to connect to a normal PSTN line as well as telephones. The SPA doesn't and you don't actually have a PSTN line anymore anyway!

IF you have an SPA122 then you will need to set the network service to 'Bridge mode' ( page 25 of the manual ) and ensure you connect the router to the BLUE(Internet) port on the ATA. If you have a 112 then you don't need to.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

... how would an ordinary (ADSL) telephone work plugged directly into a fibre line?

Short answer, it wouldn't, and how would you plug it in anyway?

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN

"Short answer, it wouldn't, and how would you plug it in anyway?"

Because it has two BT telephone female sockets underneath the ONT Rob.

Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looked at the specs of your box and what you have there are two FXS ports to which you can connect POTS to. This site explains what it's all about.

https://www.3cx.com/pbx/fxs-fxo/