cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capping and Prioritisation on FTTC

Adam1V
Grafter

Capping and Prioritisation on FTTC

Ive been considering the FTTC trial for sometime but im still a bit dubious.
After speaking with PN support, I understand the prioritisation and capping still remains in place.
So with that in mind, is there much benefit in having a super fast connection if your still being capped to 256 / 512mb speeds etc?
12 REPLIES 12
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Capping and Prioritisation on FTTC

You will not be speed capped, but still have traffic prioritization and download data limits depending on your account.
Adam1V
Grafter

ah, now that makes sense Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
The maximum speeds you will see will depend upon your account type, the type of use and the time of day.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
f513toy
Grafter

Not speed capped but...... if you hoping to download anything from a P2P site between 6pm and 11:30ish at night, you will wonder what happened to your superfast connection as you will be restricted heavily. All else should be okay although I still see slowdowns using Iplayer sometimes still Huh  
f513toy
Grafter

Jelv, thanks for reminding me about the link. Yes, youtube can be a challenge to watch at prime time viewing as well - particularily if like me you bought an internet enabled TV for that purpose
Adam1V
Grafter

youtube is a big problem at the moment 😕
I dont use bit-torrent or p2p protocols, most of my data transfer is via FTP protocol, which I think ranks pretty highly with PN.
JasonE
Grafter

I have a 39 Mb connection yet some of my services are capped at 512k    Angry      Go figure  Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Makes perfect sense to me.
All users get funnelled in to a few pipes going in to the Plusnet gateways, those and the associated equipment cost money. BT charge for the capacity of those pipes. By restricting speeds on the non-interactive protocols Plusnet can keep their prices down.
If you want line speed on all protocols at all times move to an ISP like Andrews and Arnold: FTTC, 10GB daytime Mon-Fri, 50GB evening and weekends costs £44.05 per month
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Adam1V
Grafter

I have a question as I'm still new to fttc.
Reading about it, they claim it's quicker because it's via the glass fibre optic (which goes without saying), but what about between the exchange and the house, surely they don't pull a fibre optic cable from out in the road to your house?
I'm about to move house and have been holding off signing up.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The fibre connection is from the exchange to the BT green cabinets you see around the streets. From there it uses the normal copper pair to your phone. Hence why it is called FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet.
The difference is the copper pair is much shorter (between the house and the green cabinet rather between the house and the exchange) and thus can support higher ADSL speeds as the signal degradation is much less.
There is also FTTH (Fibre To The Home) which is fibre from home to the exchange and supports speeds of up to 100Mbs
pierre_pierre
Grafter

FTTC is fibre to the cabinet, from the cabinet to your house is the original old copper
FTTP is fibre all the way to the house, i.e. like they are doing in Milton Keynes
Adam1V
Grafter

Ah I see, thanks guys Smiley