Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling phone line question:

FIXED
leehowarth
Grafter

Cancelling phone line question:

If I cancel my phone line at the end of my contract and keep the fttp what are the ramifications if I choose to move supplier in the future?

Will BT expect me to fork out for line installation if I were to move? Or do BT offer the service without the phone line too.
13 REPLIES 13
Daniel28012
Rising Star

Re: Cancelling phone line question:

The only company that offer internet with no phone line is virgin media that I'm aware of unless Plusnet have a way to offer fttp without the phone. This I'm not sure of though.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@leehowarth

That would be best asked of BT as it is a commercial question for them. Google for the "BT FTTP helpdesk phone number" as that is where the FTTP knowledge is at BT.

Some of the other FTTP providers don't require a copper phone line. Zen, A&A  just off the top of my head.

edit change last paragraph

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
leehowarth
Grafter

Plusnet definitely offer fttp without the phone line so long as you're not in contract, I believe there is a small monthly admin charge of a few quid.

My question was if anyone knew what the implications would be if moving to another provider in the future that does require you to have a copper voice line.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@leehowarth

It would depend on the company you move to and their Terms & Conditions (offers!!!) at that time.

Zen do an internet only service. Others might also.

Brian

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Given that a lot of Openreach's FTTP future installs are on new building sites without any legacy copper wire, it is really the norm going forward.

Openreach will not fit a copper line to said properties after the event.

So no provider is going to refuse custom due to the lack of a copper line.

Although the price difference between fttp with phone line and fttp without is only pennies a month to the consumer. (Openreach discount the fttp if there is a copper line rental in place)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi there.

I agree with what others have said that you're best with asking the prospective providers you may want to move to.

If you decide to cease your phone line, it'll show as a stopped BT line that any provider who uses BT equipment at the exchange should be able to reactivate within 1 working day.

If the provider uses their own equipment(Known as LLU) they may charge a fee to connect the phone line to their equipment. As an example, we'd charge £49.99 for reactivating stopped LLU lines as it'd entail an engineer going out to connect the line to the BT equipment we'd use.

It's worth noting that a recently ceased line may not always show as a stopped line on the supplier systems.

In some cases I've come across(and frustratingly), if no stopped lines show, the only order that can be placed is a new line installation (which we'd charge £49.99 for).

Also, a stopped line will only remain a stopped line if an engineer doesn't go out to re-use the line for a neighouring property at some point in the future. If that happens then again a provider may need to place an order for a new line installation.

All that said, it's unlikely that a provider will need to install a copper line to provide you with FTTP (though don't take my word for it please, I'd speak to other providers and see what they say).

Hope this helps though. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
leehowarth
Grafter

Thanks Anoush, informative as always 🙂
JI
Hooked

Hi Anoush
I’d actually like to cancel/cease my landline as this has been redundant and not used anymore for a long time since I got FTTP. Can you advise how to go about this or any additional info you require?
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@JI

Assuming you're out of contract for your phone line there will be no additional charges re cancellation. However, there is a £2.50pm Internet only surcharge.

When a staff member ( @Gandalf ) picks this up they'll create a ticket on your account with details. You need to reply to that to officially confirm your request.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @JI

I've created a ticket on your account with more information about this. You can view and reply to it from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=184406823 hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JI
Hooked

Thanks. I have responded to your ticket.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, I've got the ball rolling now.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just to post back here, I can confirm that your phone line is ceased and your account type changed to the appropriate broadband only package. If you have any further queries, please feel free to let us know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet