Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i get FTTP?

Blim
Grafter

Can i get FTTP?

Hi,
So my exchange will be FTTC enabled soon (1month) but that's not the same as FTTP. Will this mean I cant get FTTP? If I can I really wont to trial this product Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can i get FTTP?

Yes as only a very few exchanges are trialling it and it isn't necessarily ones which have or will have FTTC
Blim
Grafter

Will my exchange state FTTP if I could get it?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDCWS
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This is where I believe the trials are taking place at present
http://www.cable.co.uk/news/bt-unveils-eight-fttp-on-demand-trial-exchanges-801395828/
Ahead of this date, Openreach - BT's local access network business - will initially allow communications providers to test 330Mbps downstream and 20 or 30Mbps upstream speeds in parts of High Wycombe, south Bristol and St Agnes in Cornwall.
In September, this phase will be expanded when Edinburgh's Waverley exchange is added to the pilot scheme.
The second stage, scheduled to run from March to May 2013, will focus on the 330Mbps downstream and 30Mbps upstream product, as well as testing new automated order processes.
Watford, Cardiff, Basingstoke and Manchester Central will also be included in this phase of the project.
To short cut the next question read the first post here which states which exchanges are part of the Plusnet Trial http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,83633.0.html
Blim
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, Its just that I still don't understand, how dose one know they are eligible to receive FTTP. My exchange status page doesn't even stat FTTP as a service. Is this because its still on trial and isn't available in the UK yet?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As I said - the only exchanges where it is being trialled are those I listed.
Isle of Wight is not on the list so it isn't available
WWWombat
Grafter

@Blim,
I think there's a little confusion here over the term "FTTP".
The Cowes exchange is listed on Openreach's website as already accepting orders, and for FTTC alone.
That means it isn't offering FTTP as standard at all. BT will only offer FTTC at the moment. That is it for any standard fibre installation - ie one that can be ordered at present, and with a low installation cost (between £0 and £50).
Some exchanges are listed as FTTP (or a mixture of both FTTC and FTTP), but it is BT's choice as to what technology is deployed in a cabinet area, not the consumer's. When the consumer orders a fibre product, he will get the single type that is available locally - not a choice. There's no point in any consumer holding off from ordering FTTC in the hope that FTTP will be there soon.
Where an exchange is included in the FTTP rollout (according to the website above), then it will be mostly on hold - as the rollout of FTTP is currently progressing very slowly. Very few ISPs deal with it, though PN will let a subscriber enroll in their trial if they end up lucky enough to find it progressing in their area. But this is moot for you, as your exchange isn't included in the FTTP rollout.
HOWEVER
Next year, BT are rolling out a different product known as "fibre-on-demand", where you will be able to order FTTP if you are in a cabinet area that already has FTTC. For this service there will be an installation charge. No-one knows how much yet, but there is an expectation of it being around £1000 - £1500, and obviously aimed at businesses. Once live, this product ought to be available to *any* exchange that was previously labelled as FTTC-only, so *would* be available in Cowes.
Right now the service isn't live, but BT have started a limited trial. Plusnet are trialling this 2nd form of FTTP too - currently with considerably lower installation charges - which is the type listed by Oldjim in the previous messages. As he mentions, it is very limited as to which exchanges are included, and the Cowes exchange isn't on the list.
Hope this helps...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.