Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I join the FTTP Trial Please?

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I join the FTTP Trial Please?

According to the BT Broadband Availability Checker I can now get FTTP so I would like to join the trial if this is possible. However, before any of that that can I ask if the Downstream / Upstream rates are capped and if so at what or do you get the full 330/30 with the trial?

BT BA Checker

15 REPLIES 15
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Can I join the FTTP Trial Please?

No, you can get FTTP on demand which is not the same as WBC FTTP that PlusNet provide on the trial. FTTPoD is really for business customers, costs thousands to install and has huge monthly fees (typically £300 per month for 300Mbps) for a minimum 3 year contract. Still interested?Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RealAleMadrid - It says under the WBC FTTP Availability that its available so as that appears to be the same product then I see no reason as to why I can't join.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Fix

I thought you might say that but that's just the confusing headings in the checker. You need to see WBC FTTP in the left hand column under Featured Products as below. PlusNet FTTP only offers 80/20 as the fastest speed so no better than FTTC. 

fttp2.png 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I'm afraid it's the "Featured Products" column that counts.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Anonymous

Unfortunately for you, @RealAleMadrid is quite correct in what he says.

To confirm, please read this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It is what it is, but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bothered anyway not with the speed being capped, I'd have needed it uncapped to justify any install.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

... PlusNet FTTP only offers 80/20 as the fastest speed so no better than FTTC.  

Although 80/20 would obviously be better for someone with slower than that on FTTC (but not @Anonymous it seems)  Wink

@Anonymous If your pockets are deep enough and you really want FTTPoD and don't mind leaving PN, here's an example of how to order it from Fluidone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobPN - I have fairly deep pockets, and I don't mind spending if needed. As deep as they are my pockets don't go down to my ankles so I'll give this a miss for now!

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Anonymous   The installation (construction) portion of the costs for FTTPoD depend on how far you are from the relevant Aggregation Node, so could be substantially less than those given in the example linked to above; on the other hand ...  Roll_eyes

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting, I am about 500m on wire as the exchange is just around the corner, in fact I could probably throw a stone and hit it (or someone's car). But even if you ignore the install costs the running costs are just silly, it would be cheaper and I would have more upload capacity getting four bonded fibre lines.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Anonymous

The Fluidone thread I linked to was fairly lengthy so you probably wouldn't bother reading all of it.

Some interesting facts contained within it which may be relevant are;

1  After the minimum 3 year FTTPoD contract expires, you can revert to a standard FTTP contract (at a standard price rate) from any of the ISPs who supply FTTP.

2.  As soon as the FTTPoD setup installation for your premises is completed your status on the BT checker will change from FTTPoD to native WBC FTTP (but not for your neighbours in case you're wondering!).

3.  As soon as the change described in point 2 above takes place, you could then order further native FTTP connections (at standard prices) over the same fibre and through the same ONT.  The ONTs currently supplied can handle up to 4 FTTP connections, although I believe there are plans to introduce ONTs which only have capacity for 2 connections.

I'm guessing that point 3 above opens up the possibility for you to order further FTTP connections for close neighbours who could then connect directly via Ethernet to your ONT if they agreed to split your construction/contract costs.  Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the BT Pricing spread sheet I have I've calculated the running costs per month as follows:

£750 Fixed Connection Fee

£1,188 Annual Rental

£1,750 Distance Based Charge (1 time Band C cost)

£3,688 Total + VAT

£4,425 Incl VAT

Then for the next two years add

£1,188 * 2 + VAT = £2,851

Giving a total cost of ownership for the 3 years of :

£7,276

or  £2,425 PA

or £202 PM

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Pretty, pretty expensive. Likely for that reason we don't offer the On Demand service as part of the trial. The WBC FTTP we do offer is provided on the BT products of 80/20 and 40/2, still better than a lot of FTTC circuits.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

You also need to consider those charges are cost/wholesale, not retail...