cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best wireless router with FTTC

andymac1969

Best wireless router with FTTC

I have recently got FTTC and have now started the 80/20 trial, so far so good, my question is, what is the best router to use with FTTC, my 80/20 speed through ethernet cable is 47/11 but when I use the wireless it drops to 19/7. I should say I think the Plusnet service is superb, I am about 3km from the exchange and about 600mtrs to my cabinet, so my speed is fantastic  Smiley
I have the Technicolor Router, which Plusnet have swapped once due to poor wireless performance, but the new one is just the same. I don't mind going out and buying a better router if the performance will improve, so anyone got any suggestions, or should I carry on with my 60 feet of ethernet cable  Cheesy
The two speedtests below are the same PC one after the other, one on wired, one on wireless
Andrew

2 REPLIES 2
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Best wireless router with FTTC

I believed I had a similar issue but I found a 'hidden' setting within Windows for my wi-fi adapter which said (something like) 'Enhanced Throughput' OFF, after turning this ON my wi-fi throughput to this laptop increased from just over 20Mb/s to well over 50Mb/s.  I would never have previously switched this OFF myself so I presume it's the default setting for that particular device / driver.
Sorry, I can't remember where exactly I found the settings but if you start in Device Manager and go from there (I'm assuming you're using Windows - apologies if that's wrong).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
andymac1969

Re: Best wireless router with FTTC

Thanks for the reply, I have gone through device manager and I cannot find that in the advanced settings etc, I have borrowed a neighbours Belkin N wireless adapter and tried that, little bit quicker on the down but much better on the up, bizarre
Andrew
Speed test result wireless with the Belkin adapter

dick:quote