Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best router for FTTP?

RobPG
Dabbler

Best router for FTTP?

I need some help please guys, 

Since Feb of this year I have had been battling with PN to solve my buffering and poor wi[fi issue - 173559632 & 168733095.

Sadly the best they have now come up with is that I need to purchase a better router myself and they have given me a small amount towards it - not the best example of customer service I thought!

Anyway, I have been looking for such a router and as I guess you will be aware, it is a minefield to choose the most suitable with value for money.

So, can you give me some good suggestions please, it only needs to be router as I have the BT installed modem white box, it needs to be able to easily download films to my TV via hardwire and the wi-fi needs to be able to cope with a reasonably big house, good if it could be future proof, at least for a little while anyway!

Have seen the Netgear Nighthawks and the ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router, is this the type I need to be going for to give me a good service? 

Recommendations from those in the know would be much appreciated, cheers.

19 REPLIES 19
arley

Re: Best router for FTTP?

Hi there,

I decided to go down a slightly more business route for our home networking setup and since doing so have had absolutely no problems with our home network with extremely reliable wifi.

We are only ADSL at the mo with the modem in bridge mode connecting to:

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite (3 port): 1 port to modem, 1 port to ethernet switch, 1 port to Wifi AP. Bought on ebay

Ethernet Switch (8 port); Netgear GS108E bought on ebay for any wired connections

Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-PRO Wifi Access Point

It takes a bit more in terms of configuration and obviously it's three/four boxes (including the modem) but it has been very stable with the Wifi signal reliably reaching down to the bottom of the garden which was something we had problems with using an all-in-one modem/router (albeit a HH5).

I'd certainly do the same again and of course it has the added advantage that as technology changes, I will probably only need to upgrade one of the components at a time.

Ian

RobPG
Dabbler

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for taking the time out to respond, you have certainly gone down a route I had not considered, I will give it much more thought now.

Thanks again!

Rob

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Much will depend on your needs, and what issues you are having at te moment. But many on here have reported the BT HH6 gives much better results, and are available on your favourite internet auction site for not much money. 

Just be aware there are at least two versions, so make sure you get the FTTP version.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Most BT HH6 routers available on eBay are the FTTC variant - with 4 yellow LAN ports. The FTTP variant has 3 yellow LAN and one red WAN port.

As I write this there is an FTTP version available for just under £50 - just note it doesn't have a picture of the back to confirm it's FTTP.

Are you in a position to run Ethernet cable in the house to create WiFi access points at the extremities to enable better all round WiFi?

Brian

RobPG
Dabbler

Many thanks Mustrum, will get onto my "favourite internet auction site' very soon today! Cheers re the reminder about two versions - helpful!!

RobPG
Dabbler

Thanks Brian, will look at eBay next. 

Ethernet cables to upstairs would be a problem, would you expect the BT HH6 to improve the wi-fi reach?

Thanks again,

Rob

bmc
Hero

WiFi reception is a dark art!!! What works for one person may not work for another.

While the location of the FTTP ONT is fixed your router can go anywhere that's suitable - if you have a long enough Ethernet cable. I ran a 15m cable round skirting boards, through a wall and up and over doors so it was in a suitable location for me.

I mention this as you could find your WiFi reception is improved by moving the router location. However, as  mentioned, finding the sweet spot for the whole house is a dark art.

Reports do suggest the HH6 is better than the PlusNet router (which is a modified HH5).

Brian

RobPG
Dabbler

Thanks again Brian, have just ordered the BT HH6 having checked with the seller it is the correct version. I take your point re the wi-fi, I suspect I will need to try and centralise the router more than it is presently. The BT engineer certainly thinks the HH6 is much better than the Plusnet version which I fear is being left behind somewhat now.

Cheers,

Rob

bmc
Hero

Do let us know how you get on.

Brian

RobPG
Dabbler

Sadly the new router HH6 has not had any positive impact after trying it for a few weeks. Can only think it is the limited service Plusnet provide for FTTP which is the problem here, Plusnet are still do not regard this a full service, still in "Beta" mode, can only think this is the real problem which sadly has not been addressed by Plusnet.

Thanks for your interest Brian, appreciated.

Rob

bmc
Hero

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

If you're receiving the expected speed when checking with a wired connection then the PlusNet service is functioning as expected.

The fact that you've still got WiFi issues after trialling a third party router shows the problem is at your end - something that no ISP can fix.

Brian

RobPG
Dabbler

Feel free to disagree Brian. It is not just wifi issues it is downloading as well. Plusnet have not covered themselves in glory at all on this one, different approach taken dependent upon who you talk to, not getting back to me when they promise to and the underlying problems still exist, which were not there at the start of the year. I now find the trouble ticket has been closed without any reference to myself to see if the issue has been sorted, which it hasn't.

As I say, do feel free to disagree but it is not you having to up with it this end.

Thanks anyway.

Rob

krusty
Rising Star

Have you tried different wifi channels?

As you now have two boxes that don't resolve your issue and "I have had been battling with PN to solve my buffering and poor wi[fi issue" is vague, can you describe in detail what the issue is and where in relation in your house is this happening?

Wifi is not a dark art but something that is variable on house type and conditions. And the situation can change.

RobPG
Dabbler

Hi krusty,

Yes thanks I have tried different channels but I will go through these again later to see if it improves.

As well as trying three different routers now, plus having three different BT engineer visits who have confirmed no problems my end.

Whilst doing the usual speedtests etc do not suggest there is a problem as far PN are concerned (although they have come up with various "problems" along the way, they all have mysteriously disappeared/resolved themselves) there continues to be a problem in particular with downloading of films to my TV despite it being a hardwired link (not wifi!!) plus we still experience too much buffering on our iPhones, iPads when downloading via wifi.

In a nut shell, the above remains the problem here, you can provide me with the magic answer as soon as you are ready, much appreciated!! 😀