cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT says they have just rolled out BT Infinity in my area

peterfleet
Grafter

BT says they have just rolled out BT Infinity in my area

Hope it is alright to mention the competition on this forum because BT (OK perhaps not real competition cos BT own PN) are pushing their Infinity products to my area, and I wondered what will PN's offerings be to match/exceed and when?
I have a rented BT phone line and a PN ADSL broadband service where the line quality and distance to the exchange, etc, means I am lucky to receive 2Mb/s download. BT's availability checker  and performance estimator offers me 16.5Mb/s download and 7.2Mb/s upload now. I would pay a lot more per month to get near those download speeds.
6 REPLIES 6
hulls
Grafter

Re: BT says they have just rolled out BT Infinity in my area

It's worth asking to sign up to the FTTC trial.  I've been on it a few weeks now (having had the BT Infinity blurb through the door, and asking), and it seems to be working fine for me.  Smiley
John
Danplusnet
Grafter

If BT can offer it Plusnet can too. There are stickies explaining how to get on the trial.
I get c. 28-38 meg download and 8meg upload however the BT Infinity blurb I received suggested the maximum upload would be 2 meg. Plusnet all the way for me.
peterfleet
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback and the PN links which I have read.
So PN have trials and BT have a defined and priced offering in my area. Surely PN have a plan and a target date for a firm offering?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We'll be announcing products and pricing in due course, we'd like to get a large sample size on our trial setup first so that we can identify usage patterns and provisioning / faults processes before we make the jump to offering something officially Smiley
The_10th
Grafter

Just checked BT's website for infinity and I am offered the 8MBps product and also 28Mbps Infinity. Sam Knows shows my exchange as FTTC enabled but not 21CN. I was told by someone here that I wouldn't get FTTC without 21CN so either they got it wrong, BT have it wrong or Sam Knows is wrong (most unlikely)?
I am paying the same as BT Infinity option 1 and get 40GB @ 28Mbps d/l and 2Mbps up Smiley and would dearly hope PN will offer same or better.
Considering PN are owned by BT I would have expected near some imminent signs of a product release by now on the FTTC side of things. Having said that no doubt a product refresh will emerge with this.
Can someone from PN provide answers to the above please?
Thanks
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

For an exchange to be enabled it doesn't necessarily need to have BT Wholesale's ADSL2+ product. Openreach are deciding which exchanges to do FTTC at and BT Wholesale are deciding which exchanges they want to do ADSL2+ at. These lists aren't necessarily the same. In order for BT Wholesale to offer FTTC at an exchange that Openreach have enabled they need to install some 21CN kit to backhaul to traffic but they don't have to install the ADSL2+ kit.
If the Infinity site shows that your phone line can get FTTC then it should be available even if you can't get ADSL2+.
At the moment we're planning on running our FTTC trial into the new year so will be a few months yet before we launch any products.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology