cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT says I can get Fibre but Plusnet doesn't

TonyLon
Hooked

BT says I can get Fibre but Plusnet doesn't

I live in a semi-rural area and about a year ago fibre was installed along the road (on the existing overhead poles).

The fibre junction boxes are now at the base of every 3rd or 4th pole.

The Openreach checker and BT now say that I can have fibre broadband to my house but Plusnet says it is not yet available.

What's going on as it was put in at least 18 months ago.

I'd prefer not to leave Plusnet, but if only BT can offer me the service i'll have to....

10 REPLIES 10
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: BT says I can get Fibre but Plusnet doesn't

Is it FTTP?  It sounds like it may be.  Plusnet only have it in trial.  You can sign up to the trial at http://trials.plus.net/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TonyLon
Hooked

Doesn't FTTP involve running an actual fibre cable into the property?

Why would this be offered rather than standard fibre - which I understand just uses the existing standard copper phone cable from the "cabinet" (which in this case is not a cabinet as such but a termination point on some of the poles) to the house.

Is FTTP required why the distance from the "cabinet" to the house is too great?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

FTTP is a true fibre connection to the home so yes it does mean a fibre cable into the property but that is only fitted when you order the service. If there is no cabinet nearby "normal" fibre (FTTC) cannot be provided so in a number of rural areas FTTP has been installed.

Use this checker to find out if WBC FTTP is available https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

If it is you should be able to apply for the FTTP with PlusNet. The usual support channels may not have full knowledge of this but there is a FTTP trial forum with staff who will be able to help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't able to order FTTP through us...

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

WBC FTTP Upto 330 Upto 30 -- Available

If you sign up at http://trials.plus.net and let us know on here once you've done that we'll get the ball rolling for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TonyLon
Hooked

That all sounds promising.

Before I request this though I need to do some investigation on the route that the fibre would need to take from the nearest fibre enabled pole to my house.

I have a recently built property and the telephone cable goes underground from the boundary to inside the house.

I could do with finding that conduit as otherwise it's going to be a difficult route under a paved drive...

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

As I understand it OpenReach generally follow the line of your existing phone cable when installing fibre. I also understand they are responsible for re-instating the ground if they need to dig a trench so crossing the drive might not be a problem - so long as the re-instatement is done right.

I also believe you can choose to be present when the cable is run so would get a chance to speak to the engineers about the route and where it enters your property.

Brian

TonyLon
Hooked

I still think I need to do some investigation in the route of my existing phone cable, as it would definitely be preferable to use the existing conduit (if I can find it!)

Do you know how sharp a curve the fibre can turn through?

FakeJake
Grafter

BT will just use the existing conduit (i watched them do it when mine was installed). Anything else like installing a new one is a last resort as it will mean digging. 

Mine went through a right angle underneath the end of the drive ok

TonyLon
Hooked

I have now signed up to trail (via the link you gave) - so will wait and see what happens.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'll take a look at the ticket now. Expect an update on it shortly. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet