cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT OR outside now....

David_W
Rising Star

BT OR outside now....

There are two BT vans in my street putting down the fibre for FTTP so my obvious question, once they are done outside (in the really strong winds, blew a tree down yesterday) how much longer until it gets switched on and I get my 330Mb?
10 REPLIES 10
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: BT OR outside now....

Is FTTP available to you yet?
I'm curious as that's around the same time the FTTP cables were laid to the poles in my street and I'm still waiting, although I suspect (hope) it won't be too much longer as most/all of the poles that I've seen around the town have now been fitted with their manifolds.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

I wouldn't hold your breath - they have been laying cable in our village for over 18 months now (both pole and duct served properties) . Although a few ducted houses have been able to order most of us are still waiting impatiently as BT attempt to resolve problem after problem. The pole right outside my house has had it's manifold at the top since September.  Sad
Good luck!
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I'm in Cornwall, so based on what I've read on several sites, I'm hoping that FTTP will be up and running sooner rather than later.  Smiley
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Using Google Maps to obtain telephone number and/or address/postcode details of various premises around my town, and then inputting that info into the ADSL checker, I've now managed to identify 11 'Cabinet Areas' where FTTP is available.  AFAIK all those premises are served by an overhead feed.
Unfortunately for me I've yet to find any addresses within my own cabinet area which can get FTTP even though the construction work appears to have been finished, but I'm hoping it's imminent.
I did manage to identify one semi-detached property which fell on the boundary of an FTTP area - one house was able to get FTTP whilst the other was served by another cabinet and could only get FTTC.  Google Street View clearly showed the 2 properties being fed by overhead dropwires from 2 different poles!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi, we won't be party to the precise details about how FTTP is being implemented in your area, but we're aware that strict time frames aren't always involved in that kind of work. I'd advise checking here to see what services are available:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
FYI I know for a fact that gets updated quickly, in fact my FTTC was installed before the end of last month and the expected available was the 30th of June.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
.....  I'd advise checking here to see what services are available:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
FYI I know for a fact that gets updated quickly, .....

Thanks for your reply Adam.
I had that link saved along with the BT Wholesale one, but I'll admit I was using the BTW yesterday not knowing there was any difference between them in update frequency.
If the one you've linked to is quicker to be updated perhaps I'd better check every 5 minutes!  Grin
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Things might be looking up for me.  Cheesy
Of 5 'Cabinet Areas' due to get FTTP which are adjacent to my own area, 4 are now enabled, the latest of which I think went live on the database last Friday (7/6/13).  So in this area of town just mine and another still to go live.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Well my Cabinet Area is finally enabled for FTTP  Cheesy
The trouble is I've got some stuff to be getting on with for the next week or so, so I'm only going to be around sporadically, therefore I won't be around to enable access to BT Openreach to do the install stuff for a while  Sad
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: RobPN
therefore I won't be around to enable access to BT Openreach to do the install stuff for a while   Sad

The install is a two part process - the exterior + interior side of things. You don't normally need to be available for the exterior stage and PN would schedule the interior stage once everything else is complete.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: AndyH

The install is a two part process - the exterior + interior side of things. You don't normally need to be available for the exterior stage and PN would schedule the interior stage once everything else is complete.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I'd read that the install is a two part process, but in my case I need to be present for the first stage as I need to direct the Openreach engineer where to route the fibre 'cable' (tube).  Due to the location of my house in relation to the street I'm intending to install some flexible conduit tubing from outside near to where the 'cable' will be attached to the house (overhead feed from a pole across the street) and routed to a point inside, and then have the splice point installed indoors, which I believe is an option after reading a BT Openreach PDF I found the other day.