cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Modem Reliability

ChrisF

Re: BT Modem Reliability

This seems to be the same issue I am having at the moment. The modem kept dropping (not that often) and then after a brief powercut its failed to connect (DSL) light again. Powerlight boots up and becomes static but the DSL light doesn't even try.
Currently a call logged with Plus.net for this, going to try a mates tonight to see its the problem
Vistrix

Just to add to the thread...
BT engineer installed FTTC yesterday. My modem since lunchtime today has been continually trying to sync, the DSL light just flashes.  Tried turning it off for 15 minutes and back on.
The modems seems slightly hot but it doesn't seem too serious.
Vistrix

While I wait for the BT line check - is there anything else I can do in the mean time? I'm using my mobile internet at the moment : \
Will any other modem work with the connection?
I've tried leaving the modem off overnight and it still isn't connecting.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Vistrix,
To report this can you raise a fault here https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults. To be honest this could be a fault with the service rather than a fault with the modem.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Vistrix

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi Vistrix,
To report this can you raise a fault here https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults. To be honest this could be a fault with the service rather than a fault with the modem.

I did ring Plusnet on Friday and someone created a support ticket for me and said the line would be checked within 72 hours (havent heard anything back yet - I'm assuming the weekend didn't count).
Should I do that troubleshooting wizard also?
Euge
Grafter

Arranged, through plusnet, to get a bt openreach engineer to come out and replace the faulty modem which he duly did on Saturday.
I had a short chat with him about it and he'd replaced 2 already that morning but has told me that mine is now the revised edition with a change in power consumption and updated firmware. Fingers crossed it sorts the problem out.
Apparently they tested the old modems and the current fluctuates all over the place.
knowdice
Rising Star

Is there a serial number range or sticker to identify updated units?
Euge
Grafter

No idea, my firmware version is:
v100r001c01b028sp10
It's 12V and 0.7A (I don't know if this is any different)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Is there a serial number range or sticker to identify updated units?

Good question, I'll go and ask about that
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

There's no external way to tell which firmware version is on the modems I'm afraid. We're assuming that the units are being flashed in bulk before being installed as replacements. I'll keep digging at this end but so far we don't' really have any reports of people having issues with the replacement. Also its worth bearing in mind that the replacement units have different power suppliers too.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pete3D

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
There's no external way to tell which firmware version is on the modems I'm afraid. We're assuming that the units are being flashed in bulk before being installed as replacements. I

Is that because the firmware might not match the label on the box ?  I have two separate FTTC modems for the 2 lines into my  house, both have firmware labels. They have different firmware versions according to the labels on the bottom of the modems.
pete3D

Quote from: Euge
No idea, my firmware version is:
v100r001c01b028sp10
It's 12V and 0.7A (I don't know if this is any different)

Just looked at the firmware codes on the back of my modems:
The firmware code for the older modem which has never been replaced ends with sp07, the newer modem, a replacement for 2 older modems ends with sp10, the same as your code.
I guess that sp stands for "service pack".  Newer modems are shipping with a more recent service pack.  It probably worth getting people to note which version is being swapped out and the code on their new modem.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

My modem was obtained last September and firmware version ends in SP06 (no problems with it so far) Cool
knowdice
Rising Star

I also have SP06 from November 2010
It's worth noting, from the BT specification (SIN498)
"There will be occasional firmware upgrades which will involve reasonable
volumes of traffic (M bytes). Openreach will report to CPs when these are
possible."

So firmware could have been upgraded remotely...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Morning all,
thanks a lot for your updates, keep them coming.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team