cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Modem Reliability

pete3D

BT Modem Reliability

I've just had a second faulty BT Modem replaced on my FTTC line.  The BT Engineer hinted that they might not be that reliable. Has anyone else needed to have a modem replaced ?
75 REPLIES 75
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: BT Modem Reliability

We've not had an unusually high number of reports regarding issues with fibre modems so I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has had a problem like this.
pete3D, do you know what the problem was? did the engineer explain?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
timw2000
Dabbler

Hi,
I'm on my 4th modem now and have just lost my Internet connection again (on hold waiting for support) so we'll see what the problem is this time, maybe a 5th modem?
Tim
pete3D

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
do you know what the problem was?

I didn't get any explanation.  
   I'd been running on the FTTC trial for some time without any problems, but then started getting drop-outs.  I had 120+ drop outs and reconnects in a day on the first modem to go.   It couldn't maintain a DSL connection for more than a few minutes.  The engineer tested the line,  replaced the modem.  The problem was fixed. He  went away.
   The replacement modem lasted a couple of days, I think, before the DSL light went off and never came on again.  I tried power off and on a few times over 3 days, checked the cables etc.    It didn't reconnect. In fact the box died the morning before the engineer turned up, even the power light went off.  
Faced with a dead modem the BT engineer just replaced it.
 The 2nd engineer told me that he had been asked by his management to collect any faulty modems for return to Huawei.   The modems look pretty cheap and BT can't be paying that much for each unit given how many they must have sourced. Therefore, either BT are just penny pinching or perhaps there is a significant enough number of faulty boxes  for them to bother to return them.
 I noticed the modems get quite warm. However, mine have  been located on a shelf with space around them. I don't think the operating environment is likely to be any worse than a typical home installation.
dick:green Quote fixed.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the detail, it is a concern but I'm not too worried as we're not seeing any other reports of this at present. I'll remain vigilant though in case this becomes more widespread.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Kevin
Rising Star

My modem started dying about 2 weeks after FTTC was installed. I kept it going, until it was replaced, by using a fan to blow air through it.
The replacement gets hot, but  touch wood, is OK. I've also propped it up against the wall so that the vents are ontop and the sides. Before, the old one just sat flat on the desk.
Maybe this way the heat can escape more easily...?Huh
Kevin.
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

pete3D

and here
http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=21950.0
is this looking like a pattern ?  With Plusnet going live with FTTC and no doubt  an increase in users of these modems, it will be interesting to see if there are any other reports.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the updates guys,
It sounds like Merlin, has the same issue, http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94825.0.html I'll be collating these along with any other examples I see.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

PS to aid my investigations can anyone replying let me know how many times this has been replaced and also a brief description of what the problem actually was or anything an engineer might have mentioned re the fault.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Romandy
Dabbler

My dsl light has been flashing for 2 days I've raised a ticket I'll let you know if it's the modem. If so it'll be my first one to go but I've only been on the trial a month. My modem sits flat on the carpet floor. Bt are meant to wall mount them.
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

AFAIK, BT do not wall-mount the modem. Surely placing it on a carpet is asking for trouble.
Mine is positioned flat but with supports at the short sides so there is 2cm of air below it and open to the air on every other face.
It doesn't get very hot but obviously heats up when there is a lot of netowrk traffic.
I have had it for 6 months.
Dave
G3YBO
Grafter

Hi just a point on this........My BT engineer said he must install modem on a wall with screws.......Maybe this is why.....The wall
is the heatsink......
Regards
Roger
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Is it possible to get a spare modem to keep in case it is needed.?
I hate not having something that I can substitute if there is a problem, especially useful for fault finding. I always kept a spare ADSL router/modem.
bluewhale
Rising Star

i'd recommend sticking them on the edge as i think that there will be better airflow and maybe a chimney effect
why is it that these manufacturers continually design stuff like this, wonder how much is due to lead free solder failing under heat...