Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Infinity 2 - how will PN respond?

richards99
Grafter

BT Infinity 2 - how will PN respond?

It needs to and fast......
Enjoying trial but what will the near future bring?
17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: BT Infinity 2 - how will PN respond?

Hi there,
As you're probably aware, we are already offering an 80/20 trial.
We currently have no finalised price on what we will offer in the future but as we have news it will be posted here.
richards99
Grafter

Yes I am a satisfied customer on the trial but it seems to me that BT is making efforts to price its wholesale customers out - how can PN possibly compete with the new Infinity 2 package?
James
Grafter

You need to understand that the arm of BT (ie: Retail) are not the Wholesaler.  They purchase the service as any other BT line based supplier would do, via BT Wholesale.
There are regulations in place to ensure that BT Retail (and to the same extent, Plusnet) are not given an unfair advantage.  It is entirely down to Retail how they price their product.  Like I say, when we have a finalised product, we'll let everyone know how much it will cost.
richards99
Grafter

Thank you.
I understand the wholesale concept - it was a post by one of your colleagues regarding unlimited use that raised my eyebrows and caused me to doubt how in the real world PN could compete.
Putting aside the trial for the moment I presently pay more than BT Infinity 2 for 40/2 that is limited to 120gb peak time use.
I hope I am wrong as I would rather stay put.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do note, for exisintg BT infinity customers wanting the increased speed they have to start a new 18 month contract.
I will wait patiently to see just how Plusnet will compete when the product refresh comes along.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
richards99
Grafter

More than happy to be patient while 80/20 trial continues. I do worry though that BT's ultimate plan is for PN to mop up the cheap end of the market as per the adverts - think talk talk with customer service.
Ronski
Rising Star

Would that be the product refresh that's been on the cards for about two months? And what ever happened with the 10mb upload option? Or are they still trying to add the product to the billing system...........
You know, I'm sort of glad my cabinets not gone live yet, as I really can't decide whether to stay or move on to another ISP
If there's no 10mb option I will probably change ISP, and no I don't want to have pay for 80/20, as there's no 40/10 option.
veletron

BT dont do static IP's on any of their consumer products so thats what will keep me plusnetting for now.
Nigel
kdhuk
Grafter

In order to match the BT offer, PN might add 80/20 to Fibre extra accounts and 40/10 to Fibre value accounts for no extra charge but a new 18 mth contract?
w23
Pro

Don't forget that BT Infinity 2 is unlimited bandwidth and includes free unlimited Openzone / BT FON wi-fi.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
acarneiro
Grafter

They do, however, have the massive disadvantage of... being BT.
My experience from contacting BT customer services (repeatedly, as they cocked things a just a little bit more after each call) and PlusNet (only needed to call once as the lad down the line actually KNEW what he was talking about, rather than being a script monkey) could not be more different.
I am willing to pay a bit of a premium for higher quality of Customer Care.
That said, I have already posted on here a few times that I think 120GB is beconing too little for today's internet-oriented computing.
adie:quote
w23
Pro

I wholly agree on PlusNet being much better then BT in many respects, also about 120GB leaving less and less margin as time goes on, though I think that unlimited allows too much potential for 'abuse' of the network by the greedy few.
Call me 'w23'
Ronski
Rising Star

Well I need a static IP, so I guess that counts BT out.
I've had cause to use support recently, and I'm far from impressed, I actually got things sorted/moving by posting on the forums.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Ronski,
Quote from: Ronski
I've had cause to use support recently, and I'm far from impressed, I actually got things sorted/moving by posting on the forums.

Are you referring to your brother's issue? Where do you think you were let down?
Jojo Smiley