Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT FTTP service still active

FIXED
Firu
Dabbler

BT FTTP service still active

Hi

I recently signed up to the FTTP trial but the service isn't fully up and running yet. I'm hoping that @HarryB, @Anoush, @BasilBrush or someone else can help me out...

I already have FTTP from BT but I want to lose the phone line and just have FTTP from Plusnet without any line rental. So I signed up for 'Broadband only' ADSL with Plusnet in order to become a Plusnet customer so I could join the trial. That all happened fine without any problems and the ADSL is working at the moment. I then signed up online for the FTTP trial. The signup process seems to have worked since I have received a Hub One and various emails and tickets telling me that my service has changed over to fibre.

However, my BT FTTP service is still active and I cannot connect via Plusnet using the Hub One. I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that my BT FTTP service would be automatically cancelled when the Plusnet FTTP service went live. I haven't received any notification from BT. I also assumed (again perhaps mistakenly) that my Plusnet ADSL would cease to work. Since none of these things have happened I am not yet sure if everything has gone correctly. I do not want to cancel my BT FTTP service until I am sure that the Plusnet FTTP is actually active. I have raised a ticket (no 146470597) and I have received some answers concerning the connection but I wanted to ask here first before contacting BT.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Phil

12 REPLIES 12
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: BT FTTP service still active

Fix

Welcome to the community forums @Firu

@Firu wrote:

I recently signed up to the FTTP trial but the service isn't fully up and running yet.

It does look like the FTTP service should be active.

Firu wrote:

I was under the impression (perhaps mistakenly) that my BT FTTP service would be automatically cancelled when the Plusnet FTTP service went live.

Unfortunately I don't believe that's the case with FTTP as an FTTP ONT can have more than one connection running through it through the various ports.

I believe you'd need to contact BT to cancel the FTTP connection provided by them.

Going back to the various ports on the FTTP ONT, when you've connected the Hub One, did you unplug the BT equipment and connect the Plusnet equipment as you previously had the BT router? As this could be the problem. Our connection is running down port number 2 on the ONT, so connecting our router through that port should give you our connection.

I hope this helps, however feel free to get back to us here if it doesn't and I'll ask around some colleagues for further advice Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Firu
Dabbler

Hi @HarryB

Many thanks for the quick reply.

When I tried to connect via Plusnet I turned off the ONT and then swapped the BT hub with the Plusnet Hub One. I used the same LAN1 port both times. I'll try LAN2 this evening and hopefully that will do the trick. I'll let you know either way.

Cheers

Phil

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Firu

The OFCOM switching regulations do not apply to FTTP and/or cable. They are designed for Openreach copper (aluminium) wires only.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2013/consumers-to-benefit-from-easi...

4. Ofcom's decision applies only to switching providers on the Openreach copper network. The Openreach copper network is a single infrastructure supporting a number of suppliers. Ofcom previously decided to prioritise work on switching processes on the Openreach copper network as switching landline and broadband providers were the areas of highest concern. Ofcom's policy decision therefore applies to fixed telephony as well as standard and superfast broadband which use copper into the home (including fibre to the cabinet, or FTTC). It does not currently apply to cable, or to fibre to the premises (FTTP) customers. Ofcom will be considering the possibility of developing a consistent switching process for consumers to ensure they have a similar experience regardless of the network.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Firu
Dabbler

Thanks @SpendLessTime for the info. I'll get on to BT to cancel my FTTP and phone line as soon as I've checked my Plusnet FTTP is working. I'm looking forward to no more line rental!

SpendLessTime
Hero

OFCOM will have to address this sooner or later as the number of FTTP installs increases. Seemed to be a lost opportunity to do it all at the same time.

Just looked at my ONT and seen there are 4 LAN ports (plus 2 telephone points), I guess in theory you could have 4 separate FTTP ISPs live at the same time. Smiley

Firu
Dabbler

@HarryB thanks a lot. That's sorted it. All I needed to do was connect the Hub One to LAN2 on the ONT and it connected. Now to cancel BT and be free of line rental! 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Excellent! Glad to hear that's sorted it Thumbs_Up

Although I appreciate you don't have phone with us and it's a broadband only account, please could you let me know when your line ceases with BT, just so I can ensure your account isn't cancelled due to the line being ceased.

As the number is stored on your account, it will notice when this ceases and as our non-trial products rely on this, I'd like to make sure any generated tickets etc. are closed advising they are not required as the FTTP will remain active.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Firu
Dabbler

@HarryB I have just cancelled my phone line and broadband with BT. The services are due to end next Thursday 20th April. Thanks a lot for keeping an eye on my account.

For anyone else going through the same process there was a £31 termination charge for the broadband even though I'm out of contract!

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Firu

There is a "cessation charge" at Plusnet too if you ever move FTTP away. It is set to £30 and is itemised here https://www.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary

This is due to the non switching nature of FTTP so it is always a cessation of service when you go to a new supplier.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Whatever amounts of money Plusnet charge are up to Plusnet.

Have you looked at the FTTP migration and cease charges in the BTWholesale WBC price list? Or Openreach's price list? They seem to imply FTTP migrations exist.

Firu
Dabbler

@HarryB Just a reminder that my phone line service from BT is due to end today. 

The date for ending my BT FTTP got pushed back to Monday 24th April, but I assume that won't have any impact on my Plusnet service.

All is going well with my Plusnet FTTP Smiley

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Apologies for the delayed response.

Just to confirm, everything seems as it should be on your account following the line cease Smiley

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet