cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTP ?

andymk
Dabbler

Re: Anyone managed to get Sky TV On Demand service working with Plusnet FTTP ?

So, the saga continues..
Just borrowed a Netgear N150 router that one of my frieds uses for his FTTC product, which looks like it should be OK for my FTTP..
Plugged in the router, reconfigured the login stuff to use my details (plusdsl etc.) and gave it a go.
Blimey, worked first time using the long direct cable, Sky box now says Service Connection OK  Grin Grin
So in the interest of pleasing the wife, reconnected the Sky Wireless gizmo and reconfigured it to connect to the wifi coming from the router.
Guess what, still works, service connection OK and full access to iPlayer, ITVPlayer etc, works a treat !!
So, it was the ZyXel router that was causing ther problems, seemed to connect to the Sky Box via Wifi but couldn't access Sky's servers.
So what is the difference betweed a ZyXel NGB4604 router and a Netgear N150 router ?Huh
I notice a few differences like ZyXel is 1GBE and the netgear isn't but that will noy cause the problems that I have been seeing..
Anyone got any idea's ?
andymk
Dabbler

Called Plusnet to discuss my findings about the ZyXel router not working with Sky's On Demand services..
Very very helpful as usual and offered to send me a Technicolor router as my ZyXel is still under its years wrannty.
However, we did both agree that it has to be a port or something that Sky uses that must be blocked within the ZyXel router.
I am sure it will be easy to open any such port if only we knew which one the service uses.
A quick google has not produced answers so maybe a new router is the way to go ?
Talking to Sky technical support they have absolutly no idea about ports etc as it isn't on their crib sheets, all they say is clean the contacts on the viewing card, which of course is going to make it work 😉
So the million dollar question, how do I find out the different port numbers that are blocked on the ZyXel and the Netgear ?
If I can find out, it may just work..
Thanls again for all your help guy's.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I am sure it will be easy to open any such port if only we knew which one the service uses.
This http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-anytime/44976-those-wanting-use-non-sky-router-anytime-2.html seems to imply that its UDP port 3700.
If that's the case, I can only guess that it ( the Sky box ) tries to use uPnP to open the port and that this works on the Netgear but not the Zyxel.
You might try finding the ( if there are any! ) uPnP settings on the Zyxel. Failing that try forwarding UDP port 3700 to the Sky box.
Let us know how you get on.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

From the Zyxel router manual:
17.4 UPnP Screen
Use this screen to enable UPnP. Click the Management > UPnP to open the following screen.
Figure 98 Management > UPnP > General

Try making sure this is enabled.
andymk
Dabbler

Well, I reconnected my ZyXel when my mate wanted his Netgear router back and guess what, Sky On Demand again stopped working.
I checked the UPNP setting that was mentioned and it was already enabled.
Also, I tried the Port 3700 thing by routing it through to the Sky Box in the same way as I route my Foscam IP camera through (which I know works) and again Sky still not working.
I have received a Technicolor router from Plusnet so I hope to give that a go very soon as soon as nobody is using the internet.
Thanks for your help guys.