cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got FTTC to work at 4.2km from cabinet?

Chriz
Dabbler

Anyone got FTTC to work at 4.2km from cabinet?

Hi,
I'm interested to know if anyone has successfully connected via fttc with a line length of around 4.2km to the cabinet? This is what I have and it doesn't seem to wok because of the distance to the cabinet.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Anyone got FTTC to work at 4.2km from cabinet?

Beyond 1.6KM, the VDSL2 (FTTC) speeds are no better than the equivalent ADSL2+ speeds. Once you go beyond 2.5KM then speeds can be below the min FTTC threshold of 5Mbs (it used to be 15Mbs) that BT require to allow them to consider an FTTC connection. I doubt you will get it at 4.2KM.
Chriz
Dabbler

OK, thanks for that....I didn't realise there was a threshold for the FTTC. I wouldn't care if the speed was 1 Mb, any internet connection that works would be great right now!!
Do you know if they can run it at a lower speed?
knowdice
Rising Star

I'm surprised that BT even took this on, I would have thought their database should have chucked it out with a line length like that.
I thought that I had seen somewhere that the lowest target speed for download sync was 10mbs (or was it 15mbs) and wouldn't be provisioned if that wasn't reached...could easily be wrong though  Embarrassed
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

When the FTTC trial started BT had a min of 15Mbs before considering FTTC for a line, this was recently reduced to 5Mbs.
Chriz
Dabbler

Presumably this is done so everyone is paying for a minimum speed as part of their package? Is it possible to have the speed throttled back so that will work over a longer distance?