cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any trials in Weymouth?

tinytim

Any trials in Weymouth?

Hi,
i today signed up for fibre FTTC and await installation.
Would you happen to have any trials in this area for FTTP and what sort of speed increase can be expected (typically)?
regards
Tim
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Any trials in Weymouth?

In general (there may be exceptions) FTTP isn't being trialled in FTTC enabled exchanges
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Oldjim
In general (there may be exceptions) FTTP isn't being trialled in FTTC enabled exchanges

Is that true?
I was hoping to get on the FTTP trial fairly soon as I am in a (hopefully soon to be enabled) FTTP area of my town, even though some parts of town can get FTTC.
I have identified two parts (at opposite ends) of town which can presently get FTTP - I'm just waiting for my part to go live!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You don't say how big a town but in terms of area and population Weymouth is small
As a side issue most of my exchange has gone FTTC but there is no intention of doing my CAB due to the way the lines distribute from it - now if I could get FTTP
This is the Announcement for Weymouth http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=D1759D81-019C-49E0-8EC1-30178765EA93
From Spring 2013 Openreach aims to start to make fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) technology, where the fibre runs all the way to the home or business, commercially available on demand 3 in areas where fibre broadband has been deployed. FTTP-on-demand will offer the top current download speed of 330Mbps 3. According to the regulator Ofcom, the current average UK broadband speed is 12Mbps.
looks like I am out of date
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Oldjim
You don't say how big a town but in terms of area and population Weymouth is small

I'm not sure if your answer was directed to both myself and the OP, but ...
The town where I live (in Cornwall) is probably about half the size of Weymouth regarding population; parts of it are already FTTC enabled whilst other parts (I've only managed to narrow down 2 small areas ATM) are FTTP enabled.
There are many telephone poles (including the one serving my house) which have been fitted with fibre cable and manifolds, and I suspect most / all of the build has been done but BT/Openreach have not yet updated their database.