cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recomendations for FTTP routers?

Grandpa
Grafter

Any recomendations for FTTP routers?

I was looking at getting the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router and just wondered what others think is this a good option or are there better ones (I know this and the Asus one are very similar)
So any thoughts appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13
digitalfixer
Grafter

Re: Any recomendations for FTTP routers?

Hi,
Not used the Nighthawk, but I have been using the ASUS RT-N66 with FTTP (330/30 trial) for about 12 months with no issues and so can recommend that.  I did look at the ASUS AC routers as well, the RT-AC66, and RT-AC68 but decided as I did not have any AC devices and was unlikely to have anything that required the extra speed of AC wireless in the medium term I would save my money and just go for a dual band wireless N router instead.
I am also lucky in that I have Gigabit Wired connections to the office where I tend to use the laptop so for most of the time I have a rock solid connection to the rest of the network.  However, saying that even being on the 330/30 trial most of the time if I connect on 5ghz Wi-Fi N will give me either a 300 or 450mb connection so the Wi-Fi is as fast as the internet.
Gary
Grandpa
Grafter

Still using my trusty Netgear DG834G up to now, but it is well past its sell by date Smiley but its done me for quite a few years so was thinking stick with Netgear,
It has some nice features such as FTP server, Print server, advanced QoS, and good signal strength etc,
like you digitalfixer I don't currently have any AC devices, but the plan is if my next router lasts as long as my DG834G then its possible I may get AC devices in the future.
From what I have been reading (And I may have missed some hence my post) It looks like there are only two non business routers in this class and that's the Nighthawk R7000 and ASUS RT AC68U
Both have very similar specifications but the ASUS is slightly more expensive and doesn't get as good a review as the Nighthawk (At least on Amazon) so still tempted to go for the Nighthawk.
AndyH
Grafter

Asus are due to release a new router over the next month which will be the first router to use the 4x4 AC chipset (fully using the AC potential) - http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/01/rt-ac87u-the-ultimate-router-4x4-mu-mimo-ces-2014/
Grandpa
Grafter

Wow looks big and expensive though  Smiley

adie:quote
AndyH
Grafter

I imagine will be in the £180-200 price mark.
It's the next generation of routers and will probably mark the new line of Asus routers (they are developing a completely new firmware for it). One of the big things is that it will use the full potential of the AC standard, which I don't think any other routers do at the moment.
Grandpa
Grafter

Yes it does look nice, but I have a feeling it may be above the £200 mark  Smiley and the other thing is it is always hit and miss with new equipment it may be the bees knees or it may be a complete dud. Until it has been available and people start using it there is no way of knowing how well it works in real world situations.
I've actually decided to order the Blackhawk as I've read a lot of good reviews (Most of the bad ones are from people who don't know how to us it ie. they cannot get it to work because it doesn't have a modem  Roll_eyes )
And hopefully if BT pull their finger out and get round to installing my fibre I will be wanting to use it within the next couple of weeks.
Anyway thanks for the input and I will let you know how I get on with the Blackhawk once its up and running.
zoggie
Dabbler

I have the Netgear Nighthawk and I am very happy with it. I am on the 330/30 trial (currently downgraded to 100/30 due to trouble with service). The Router is stable easy to configure with iPad app. The wireless range is out of this world. I have never had a stronger router and I have installed lots over the years. It is quite big and the blue/white lights are quite bright but I would not change it for any other router. I am using it in 2.4 and 5 GHz mode at the same time so I have 2 network at the same time. The 5 GHz is very fast and my iphone and iPad connect at 40- 60 Mb/s. I also setup port forwarding on it to my CCTV system and configured Remote Desktop connection to my home PC and all works like a dream. I have currently no other AC dongles to get the maximum speeds the router has to offer but I bought is router with the future in mind.
I have not used the USB ports for anything on it as I have a network NAS drive and a wireless AirPrint canon printer and all just works. The router is not cheap but after trying the Draytek 2130n for the last 6 month and getting frustrated with the draytek WiFi range and the cumbersome software the Nighthawk is my new best friend. I can highly recommend it.
Thomas
Grandpa
Grafter

That's good to know as I have just ordered the Nighthawk, BT is installing the FTTP as we speak (BT engineers outside at this moment), So should get the router just before they install the internal part of my FTTP.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

How are you getting on? I like many am suffering lots of issues with wireless on the R7000 - namely drop-outs and slowdowns  Sad
Grandpa
Grafter

Loving my R7000 Not had a problem with it since I installed it, Get full coverage throughout the house (And Garden).
Then again most of my PC's are wired to my Gigabit network, But phone, laptop & Tablet work fine when I do use them.
tigercook
Dabbler

tigercook
Dabbler

This is my plan once my FTTP install is complete… build my own router;
I have re-flashed an i5, 8G RAM with a few gig ports machine and installed Sophos UTM, idle 14Watt, should cope with line rate throughput (up to the 330) while having full IPS/IDS protection ie next generation firewall, use a few AP’s around the house.
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."