Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any noticeable effects of not having a Plusnet profile on 80/20 Trial

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Any noticeable effects of not having a Plusnet profile on 80/20 Trial

Quote from: Chris
We match the IP profile against BT Wholesale so we can apply per user QoS to your line. This allows us to prioritise your high priority traffic above low priority traffic. If we didn't have this profile then we wouldn't know the maximum rate your line could support, therefore if we allowed more traffic through on our side of the network than your line could support you would see random packet loss at the BTW BRAS and this could be any type of traffic (VoIP, P2P etc).
So by applying the profile on our side we can control what traffic is affected first, therefore allowing high priority traffic to be unaffected and only the lowest priority traffic to be affected.

Given the above have any triallists seen any effects related to quality of service given that the 80/20 profile is set to 20Mb (essentally unlimited as I understand it)
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Any noticeable effects of not having a Plusnet profile on 80/20 Trial

Given the above have any triallists seen any effects related to quality of service given that the 80/20 profile is set to 20Mb (essentally unlimited as I understand it)

Quite a lot of 80/20 trial customers will now have a 40000 profile which is actually 76000 (so does have the top end QoS we like for those with the fastest speeds).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I guess that the risk of 'saturating the available bandwidth' is much less on 80/20 (or any FTTC for that matter) so the profile is not quite so important.
Have a look at the ping graphs for packet loss to see if there's any real ill-effect? http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
In my case my profile is (from Chris' post) 76Mb but sync is only 59.3Mb but packet loss (so far) is minimal.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Chris

Quite a lot of 80/20 trial customers will now have a 40000 profile which is actually 76000 (so does have the top end QoS we like for those with the fastest speeds).

And as of today, the system can cater for incremental profiles up to ~80Mbps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵