Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another BT FTTP to Plusnet FTTP trial switch

James_H
Dabbler

Another BT FTTP to Plusnet FTTP trial switch

Hello All

My query is very similar to the recent thread here Switching-from-BT-FTTP-Infinity-2-to-Plusnet-FTTP-Trial but my situation is very slightly different.

I currently have BT Infinity 3 and have received BT's notice of an extra £4 per month for both voice and broadband.  This allows me to give notice to BT to leave this month, penalty free (otherwise broadband contract will run to September, voice not on any prepaid deal).  A number of others with BT will also be in this position this month.

I am happy to downgrade my speed to 80/20 (currently 200/20), but could stand to save by switching to PlusNet, more still if I can drop the voice line as I have a VOIP service.

In my case, the copper line is still present and in use for voice calls.  It was previously used for ADSL before upgrading to FTTP when it became available.

As I understand it, the FTTP trial is only available to PlusNet ADSL customers. From the other thread above, I would have to apply for ADSL first, but the exact steps and timeline are not clear.

I presume I would have to give notice to BT to switch as opposed to cancel?

Should I apply to PlusNet for both phone and broadband, or just broadband? 

Does it matter whether I apply for a rolling contract, or 12/18 month versions? I presume the former would be safer.

If I apply for ADSL, would it have to be up and running before applying for the FTTP trial?  Or can the application be intercepted?

Is there anything to worry about with the following in my dslchecker output: "There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market B Exchange."

Sorry for lots of questions.  The prospect of saving £40+ per month on my phone and broadband is appealing, but while I could manage with ADSL temporarily, I would not want to risk completely losing my FTTP.  I can send my existing phone number / address to the mods if this would help.

Thanks,

James

10 REPLIES 10
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Another BT FTTP to Plusnet FTTP trial switch

Hi James, welcome to our community forums Smiley

@James_H wrote:
I presume I would have to give notice to BT to switch as opposed to cancel?

That's correct, however to avoid downtime it may be worth scheduling the cancellation for after we're due to get your ADSL service online. Maybe give them a call after we've got you online (Providing that's still within the time frame you have to cancel penalty free)

@James_H wrote:
if I can drop the voice line as I have a VOIP service...... Should I apply to PlusNet for both phone and broadband, or just broadband? 

I'd recommend signing up for both, we can cease the phone line at a later date after getting you on FTTP and this would avoid the risk of your current phone provider ceasing your line

@James_H wrote:
Does it matter whether I apply for a rolling contract, or 12/18 month versions? I presume the former would be safer.

It shouldn't really matter. Whichever you prefer as that will be the contract we hold you to while still on the FTTP trial, unless you re-contract again at a later date.

@James_H wrote:

If I apply for ADSL, would it have to be up and running before applying for the FTTP trial?  Or can the application be intercepted?

I can't make any guarantees, but you should be able to raise a request for trial (Once you're signed up) at http://trials.plus.net however it can sometimes take a little while for these tickets to be picked up.

@James_H wrote:

Is there anything to worry about with the following in my dslchecker output: "There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market B Exchange."

I don't think this should be a problem, providing WBC FTTP shows as available. I assume it is and that you already have an existing ONT considering you're already on FTTP.

@James_H wrote:
Sorry for lots of questions...... I can send my existing phone number / address to the mods if this would help.

Not a problem at all Smiley Any other questions, just let us know and we'll do our best to help answer them.

Just FYI, our forum mods aren't staff, they are customers Wink However if you want to PM me the details I'd be happy to take a look for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
James_H
Dabbler

HarryB, thanks for your reply and apologies for taking a while to progress further.

I will send a PM with a few non-public details, just to help make sure I should be eligible for the trial and not stuck on ADSL.  If all seems fine, I would aim to place the ADSL order this week.

Thanks, James.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the PM James,

From what you've sent me, I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to get you on FTTP.

I do understand your concerns of capacity issues, however what I'd suggest, is keeping the BT FTTP active until after you're signed up to the trial (I think one ONT can deal with multiple FTTP connections, however don't quote me on that).

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
James_H
Dabbler

I have decided to go with Plusnet and for the benefit of others in the same position will post future updates in the thread.

BT had counter offered, the overall price difference between them and Plusnet for the next year not being huge (allowing for losing my mobile discount with them), but it would be the following year where I could stand to save much more.

The timeline so far is that I applied for the ADSL package on Wed 18th, and have already been given a line switch date of Friday 3rd June and ADSL activation Sat 4th.

I have had a BT email and text confirming the line switch, and that I would be left with a broadband only BT package. I had expected that FTTP could not be migrated as hassle-free as ADSL or FTTC. Interesting that it might have been possible to have BT Broadband without phone after all. I have given separate 30 days notice to cancel the BT FTTP, though they cannot process this while the line migration is scheduled, but they noted my request. I will have to call them again after migration to let them put it on the system. BT FTTP can be switched off with seven days notice, but I would have to pay until 19th June.

I went for the monthly Plusnet contract as I was not 100% confident that a 12 month contract applies to the broadband only and not neccessarily the phone as well.  All going well, I anticipate staying with Plusnet for as long as possible.

I will hold off applying for the FTTP trial until the ADSL is active.

James_H
Dabbler

It's over a month since my last post so I will provide an update (I had written it last week then lost it).  No Plusnet FTTP yet, but it's on its way.

The initial Plusnet application for phone and ADSL was easy enough and went live as scheduled,  I completed the FTTP trials form on 8th June although that was a bit early as I was advised by Michael (Darkfire on the forum) that they would have to wait for the BT service to cease.

Cancelling the BT FTTP side involved the most legwork.  The BT phone automaticlaly dropped upon migration to Plusnet, but there is generally little knowledge of the FTTP products within BT Retail and many advisers were confused.  I posted before that I couldn't cancel the FTTP while the Plusnet order was in progress.  I still couldn't cancel afterwards, or at least not until receiving the BT 'Thank You for Your Order' automatic email. No prodding of either BT or Plusnet could find out when that would be.  Anyway, it came on the 13th and I was able to request cancellation, with the earliest switch off being 21st June, and I let Plusnet know.

Five minutes past midnight on the 21st, the BT FTTP connection dropped.  The ONT still shows the fibre light as lit, but the LAN1 is now out.  So back to (slow) ADSL for the time being and using the BT Home Hub 5 for Plusnet, which was easy to set up thanks to the post elsewhere on the forum.

Without needing to contact Plusnet again, an update from Darkfire today stated my FTTP order has been placed and will just be a case of switching on, no works needed, but no date yet.

Hopefully not too much longer to go and looking forward to having the Plusnet FTTP up and running.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) corrected the correction

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi James, 

Glad things are working out, wasn't actually myself who picked this up, Mike sits right next to me however and we go through most of the FTTP orders each day if we can get allocated the time for it.

If it's just a simple activation it's usually around 24 hours, but I'll take a look into it and get you an exact time-frame later today

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@James_H Glad to hear your FTTP is active (Just seen your comments on the ticket)

The speed will currently be capped at ADSL due to the package on the account but I'll make sure that's updated for you shortly.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
James_H
Dabbler

My FTTP is indeed up and running as of this morning with ADSL switched off.  While it was initially at ADSL speed, it is now much faster.

Paul - sorry for mixing you up with Michael, Inot sure how I linked him to your forum ID.

Harry - thanks for getting the speed increased.  It is now a fairly fixed 74.5Mbps down and 21Mbps up in speed tests - should it be able to go as high as 80 down?

Also thanks to Michael for dealing with the earlier parts of the FTTP trial application.

I'll hold on to the PSTN phone for the time being, but will probably drop that sometime soon.

Overall I'm happy with the switch.  There are few providers for the WBC FTTP, most of which are quite costly.  For those that can make the switch, this is a good value offering.  While the switch in total has taken just over a month, much of this is just notice period, with only two weeks of paying for two lots of broadband.  However, I haven't been without broadband at all, while only without FTTP for three days this week.  The Plusnet side of the whole process has been quite straightforward.  BT needed a couple of calls, but not too much hassle.

For anyone in the same boat - go for it.

Neilyboy30

Hi Harry, hoping you can help!? I'm a BT customer living on a new development. The builder (Barratt) have made a decision to only provide FTTP, on the whole development. Whilst this is great, our options for broadband and phone are now limited to BT or Zen from what I've been advised. However after googling it, I found this thread. Are you aware if Plus.net are rolling out FTTP? If so, any timelines? If I'm in an FTTP area, does that automatically mean I'd be able to get it? Apologies for sounding thick, I'm not the most technical person. Thanks in advance for your help, or anyone else who is able to help.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Welcome to the community forums @Neilyboy30

I'm sorry to say I can only really echo my post here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/Can-I-Joint-The-Trial-Bath-Area/m-p/141698...

HarryB wrote:
Unfortunately the FTTP trial is currently open to existing customers. If you live in an FTTP only area, I'm sorry to say we wouldn't be able to sign you up an account.

Hopefully this changes in future if/when FTTP is offered as an option as opposed to just being a trial, however I wouldn't be able to say when this may be.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet