Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoyed - Never available in those areas that actually could do with it

RRM
Rising Star

Annoyed - Never available in those areas that actually could do with it

Hi,

sorry to moan, but I'm really fed up, long time before we got adsl, fibre and we have absolutely no idea when we can have FTTP. 

Being over 2KM for the exchange, our speeds are poor! We can't have Virgin as "it's too expensive to cable your area" and every time BT launch a new product our Walsall exchange is always near the very bottom of the upgrade list.

why can't BT prioritise areas that have poor connectivity first? 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Annoyed - Never available in those areas that actually could do with it

Because as sensible as it is @RRM there is simply no financial return in it. They would argue that they need the return generated by users subscribing to the new services to fund the areas where there is limited uptake like yours. Been in that position myself but at least we do have fibre but it was a long wait.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@RRM wrote:

I'm really fed up, long time before we got adsl, fibre...

...why can't BT prioritise areas that have poor connectivity first? 

While I believe Mook is correct, your fibre speeds don't look that bad judging from the estimates for your line.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 27.2 19.5 5 3.1 17.8 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 21.6 11.4 3.8 1.2 8.4 Available -- -- Yes --

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available -- -- -- --

My ADSL speeds were around the same as your estimates and I only got Fibre availability around a year ago, capable of roughly 30Mbps currently.

There are also plenty of areas with no fibre availability, some with even poorer ADSL capability.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RRM
Rising Star

Hi Harry,

Yes my speeds are acceptable but the annoyance is people who are already getting 80mbs or there abouts suddenly can have 330/30.

My point was couldn't BT (or others) look at those areas where they have poor ADSL etc as you mention first or even in parallel.

I understand the economics but there must be some trade off that can be reached, do some high demand areas and some low???

Finally if that's my exchange and I am reading it correctly it would imply we could have FTTP? I couldn't see this a few days ago????Huh

R

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@RRM wrote:

Finally if that's my exchange and I am reading it correctly it would imply we could have FTTP? I couldn't see this a few days ago????Huh

FTTP on Demand is shown as available, a product which Plusnet do not offer due to the very high costs to the customer.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@RRM wrote:
the annoyance is people who are already getting 80mbs or there abouts suddenly can have 330/30.

My point was couldn't BT (or others) look at those areas where they have poor ADSL etc as you mention first or even in parallel.

From my experience, although not unheard of it's very rare that FTTC enabled areas get WBC FTTP enabled. The couple I've seen have been where FTTC has had estimates of single digit figures or low teens.

The vast majority of areas I've seen pop up on with WBC FTTP have been either ADSL only areas (Some, like my house with only 20CN ADSL 8MB MAX available) or new builds that are FTTP only.

@RRM wrote:

I'm afraid not with us on the trial. FTTPoD isn't something we offer and is considerably more expensive to both provision and then continue to provide.

We did previously get a few customers on this some time ago, however some of the excess construction charges (That the customer would have to pay) we saw got to the 10's of Thousands.

Some of the costs (Wholesale/With other ISPs) were discussed over in this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/Can-I-join-the-FTTP-Trial-Please/m-p/14601...

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RRM
Rising Star

Thanks for the clarification and responses. Have a good day guys.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Which cabinet are you on at the Walsall Exchange?

From the image posted your cabinet has some 18x2 SIM available - this is where lines are known to be poor (probably due to distance). As such, they might, just might, be in line at some point for upgrading.

From what I can see there is no dedicated website for the Black Country Broadband Project but you could have a look here.

https://www.blackcountrylep.co.uk/regional-growth/black-country-broadband/

There's a contact link so you could try asking.

Brian