Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And still, a big NOTHING.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: And still, a big NOTHING.

Quote from: UKenGB
..., I'll leave it half hour and check again.

Presumably you're using http://speedtest.btwholesale.com , if so, it'd be interesting to see if the Further Diagnostics section works for you.
Using that test my upload speed never reaches anywhere near 20Mbps (although other tests such as www.speedtest.net do indicate nearer 20Mbps), and the Further Diagnostics always fails to run resulting in the message;
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

UKenGB
Grafter

Even though the PlusNet page showed now connected at 80, the data rate was still very low, so I rebooted the router and now it's seeing the higher speeds. But...
BT wholesale reports 72 down and 8.8 up. speedtest.net show similar at 69 and 9 respectively.
So a MASSIVE improvement from what we've had since the dawn of time, but I would have expected the download speed to be well into the 70s and the upload certainly closer to 20 than the less than half that we are getting.
Perhaps PN could comment on this?
BTW, thanks Matt for sorting the profile.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I would expect to see something like this

Also I would ask for your Circuit ID which you can input on the BTW Further Diagnostics page to identify your fibre line and get the BTW profile information. Just that one field is needed to be completed on that page.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
UKenGB
Grafter

That is also what I would expect. But this morning it's an even worse story with PN themselves stating:-
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
This is similar to what Think and BTW tests are now reporting.
So, still better than we've ever had with ADSL, but only a tenth of yesterday one Matt had reset the profile. Why is this? No obvious problems here, but why has the speed dropped through the floor?
BTW, from who do I obtain the Circuit ID?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

7.15 Mb
That looks suspiciously like it's reverted to the maximum ADSL speed!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

UKenGB
Grafter

Doesn't it just Sad
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

..., but I would have expected the download speed to be well into the 70s and the upload certainly closer to 20 than the less than half that we are getting.

Probably just a long shot, but even after Matty had manually set my PN profile I was still not managing to achieve the expected download speed, but here's what I did to solve my problem.
When my FTTP was installed I had simply unplugged the ethernet cable from the ADSL2+ router which I'd been using in bridge mode as a modem to feed into one of the WAN ports of my DrayTek V2920Vn router where I'd already been using a PPPoE connection, and plugged it into the LAN1 port of the ONT.  That worked  but when I discovered the data throughput was lower than expected I was a bit puzzled, but after a while I discovered that changing the WAN port settings from '100M Full Duplex' to 'Auto Negotiation' cured the download speed problem.
The reason I'd previously chosen the 100M Full Duplex setting for the WAN1 port on the DrayTek was because it was stated to be only capable of 100Mb/s.  It seems there was some mismatch between the WAN1 port mentioned and the LAN1 port of the ONT (which I believe is a Gigabit port).  I'm now using the WAN2 port of the DrayTek instead as this is a Gigabit port (also set to Auto Negotiation).
UKenGB
Grafter

I am also using a Draytek (2820), but WAN2 (ethernet for PPPoE) is already set for Auto negotiation. I was using ADSL over WAN1 and switched to WAN2 ethernet for the fibre connection yesterday. On my router it is in fact limited to 100baset, but that's sufficient for PN 80/20 (supposed) speed. In any case, I can't see how the PPPoE speed can affect the sync speed between the ONT and PN.
Also, it was running at 72 yesterday after Matt reset the profile. Up speed looked rather slow, but apart from that it was running well and I thought we could then work on the slow upload (<10 instead of closer to 20), but this morning, although the up speed is about the same, the download had dropped back to 7. So something has definitely happened. I restarted the router, but sync'd again at the same low speed. So it looks like the profile setting has dropped back and only PN can change that.
This is what the PN page shows, but it looks barfy to me:-
Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
  BENTON
Estimated line speed:
  80Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-09-03 14:20:34
Current line speed:
  7.15 Mb
What is that tel. number and exchange. It's surely not mine, but is it in fact showing the PN connection? I didn't notice that yesterday, so it might have been the same, but if that is supposed to represent my number and exchange, then PN have definitely got rather confused.
SpendLessTime
Hero

I have had that number/exchange put on my fttp line in the past, just after I ceased my normal phone line.
I assumed it was a dummy number to trick the Plusnet back office systems so allowing the support staff to action something.
And yes, the system has put you back onto your ADSL speed again. Needs Plusnet to set it correctly again.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Your current landline number technically doesn't support fibre, so it doesn't let me change the package. To get around this, I use one of our test numbers. I've changed it back, so I'm a bit perplexed as to why it's showing this. Just changed a couple of things round, are you ok to check again?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
UKenGB
Grafter

The telephone number is now correct, but the speed is still 7.15 Mb.  Cry
I'm not sure if this is relevant (doubt it), but although the copper is from the Ottershaw exchange, the fibre actually comes direct from Chertsey and by-passes Ottershaw.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Testing now. Will update the post.
It's pretty odd. Our delta reports reverted your speeds back down to the old profile, even though everything had update perfectly. Are you ok to keep an eye out over the weekend?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
UKenGB
Grafter

You can bet on it Smiley
Thanks Matt, it's now sync'd at 78. it was 80 yesterday. Why the fluctuation?
UKenGB
Grafter

Just tested it at 72.4 down, but still only 8.9 up. Someone else had a similar discrepancy on the upload speed. Why is this seemingly wrong? It's as iff the profiles are set to 10 up. That is a speed sometimes offered I believe, but Matt, are the PN profiles in fact somehow setting the upload incorrectly?
SpendLessTime
Hero

BTW, from who do I obtain the Circuit ID?

Ask MattyC for it.
Sorry, missed this bit earlier when I was reading your reply.