cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting disconnections?

wncfc
Grafter

Am I getting disconnections?

I have been trying to do a number of backup to my Google Drive.  They can take a number of hours to complete, and I have been leaving them running overnight.  Some have been successful, but more recently they are failing with a network error.

I can't see anything in my router logs, but wondered if you can see anything at your end that could be causing this issue?  

I noticed on another thread that someone was having frequent disconnections on FTTC, and a router firmware upgrade helped sort the problem.  Could this be the same in my case?  I am on:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 15/08/17

Just to add - this was the error message last night:

Start time:1/10/2019 7:52:10 PM.
End time:1/10/2019 11:34:17 PM.

Detailed information:Network failure, please make sure network works properly and try again..
7 REPLIES 7
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Am I getting disconnections?

Hi @wncfc,

Please accept my apologies for the issue with your broadband service.

After testing the line, your connection appears stable and no external fault has been detected. As the service is stable leading up to the router and the firmware version you have provided is not known to experience wireless issues, it is unlikely the route cause of the problem. Please see the graph below.

Please run a speed test via an Ethernet cable and use Internet Explorer / Microsoft Edge. If the speed is lower than the estimated speed, please click further diagnostics then enter your telephone number and run the diagnostics to send this information to us. Along side this, please raise a fault and let us know when you have completed it.

If you do not experience the same issue via Ethernet, please see this guide on improving your wireless connection.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
wncfc
Grafter

Thanks for your response.  My speed has not been an issue at all and I have checked it regularly.   My computer has a wired connection to the router so the wireless issue is irrelevant.

As I am on FTTP, I have no phone line to test, but I have tried the link you posted and the speed is fine. I tried the further diagnostics which told me that I have no FTTP installed at my address, which in itself is a little worrying but I suspect nothing to do with the problem I am having.

As I said originally, this appears to be very difficult to trace what the problem is - it appears to me that my connection to Google drops after a number of hours but I cannot see why and where this is actually happening.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@wncfc, not aware of any firmware-related issues that would lead to this, however I've upgraded you to the latest build regardless.

Another thing I would have suggested is powercycling the router seeing that it's been up for almost a month. The firmware update will have taken care of this though as it will have restarted to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wncfc
Grafter

Thanks, I've just started a new backup job.  I'll see how it goes and report back after the weekend.

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @wncfc, Ok we will wait for your update. Have a great weekend.

wncfc
Grafter

Just an update - I tried a backup on Friday which failed after a number of hours with a "system error" rather than a network error that had been previously been shown.

Since then I've done a couple of large backups which appear to have worked well (I still need to check that I can recover from them okay).  However, for these I reset the options in the backup software to default.  I suspect this has improved matters rather than the upgrade to the router, but its impossible to be sure!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers for the update, I'm glad to hear things have improved.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet