cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on FTTP availability reporting

misterbreen
Grafter

Advice on FTTP availability reporting

I have no plans to leave the Plus.net trial.

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on this though.

I have FTTP. I am on the trial.

But if I go to an alternative provider (e.g. Vodafone), or use something like uSwitch, they all say I can only get standard copper broadband (after I submit my postcode).

Do I need to prod BT/Openreach to update some database?

Any suggestions welcome.

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Advice on FTTP availability reporting

@misterbreen 

Use the Address version of the following to check.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Enter your Post Code only and select your property from the drop down menu. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column.

If it's there you should be able to order FTTP from any provider using OpenReach

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@misterbreen 

Most ISPs do not (yet) participate in providing FTTP so that's why their checkers don't offer you anything but services over copper (i.e. flavours of DSL - which is what FTTC is).

Off the top of my head some of the relatively few that do offer FTTP are BT, Zen, AAISP, Aquiss, Cerberus.

misterbreen
Grafter

Thanks. I tried the address version of:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

And it tells me I can get FTTP (and I have FTTP at my home provided by Plus.Net).

But uSwitch, TalkTalk, SKY, etc, say I can only get copper ADSL.

misterbreen
Grafter

Thanks for this additional info. 

I just thought that some 'availability' database might have been misconfigured as they all seem to say I cant get FTTP.

bmc
Hero

@misterbreen 

Not certain about Zen but BT will only show you their FTTP offers once you've run the availability checker on their website.

I don't believe TalkTalk have launched their FTTP product yet.

Sky are currently doing a "soft" launch of FTTP - it doesn't show up on their website. Like you I'm on the PlusNet Trial but I got a snail mail in from Sky last week inviting me to join them on FTTP. It gave a phone number to contact.

uSwitch may simply be unable to find any providers who have FTTP offers publically available.

Brian

misterbreen
Grafter

Thanks for the input all.

It sounds like this is just a reflection of the current status of the FTTP product/service/availability, rather than some availability database being incorrect for my address.

Thanks.

leehowarth
Grafter

Did Sky give you any idea on what speed packages they are offering, I suspect sky might be the only isp that can offer an alternative to me if they bundle it in with the TV and offer faster speeds.
bmc
Hero

@leehowarth 

Price wise no ISP can match what I pay on the FTTP Trial - even after I pay the surcharge for no phone.

Sky are offering Superfast (avg 59 down) for £27pm on 18 month contract and then £32pm afterwards. £9.95 router delivery charge and Broadband Boost thrown in for free. TV available for £10pm (£10 setup).

Ultrafast (avg 145 down) is £35pm for 18 months and then £44.

As mentioned they gave a phone number to contact. When I checked online Superfast was not available (Ultrafast was not offered online).

Brian