Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL wont work, will fttc? Waiting on trials

Chriz
Dabbler

ADSL wont work, will fttc? Waiting on trials

Hello,
I just raised a query 36793761, to get into the fttc trials. Apparently my cabinet has been done. I look forward to this, as adsl has never worked properly in my house as I am too far from the exchange. I hope that the fibre optic to the cabnet will give me broadband for the first time. Do you think this will work?
Is there anything else I need to do?
Chris
3 REPLIES 3
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: ADSL wont work, will fttc? Waiting on trials

Hi Chris,
If the reason that broadband hasn't worked for you is entirely distance then in theory FTTC should be fine. The distance issue is now much less of a problem on FTTC because it's no longer the distance between you and the exchange but you and the local green street cabinet. We're seeing lines on FTTC that are 4 or 5km in length or more where on ADSL they get less than 1Mbps move to FTTC and get over 30Mbps because the cab is under 0.5km away. Unless you're one of the really unlucky ones whose cab is in the town and they live miles outside or the problems are caused by something else then it should work fine.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Chriz
Dabbler

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the info. I hope for the best. The Bt engineers told me it was due to the distance from the exchange, about 9miles!. They eventually gave up trying to get to work, allthough it did work unreliably at about 130k!
I have joined the fibre trials and I'm told the cabinet (about 1 mile away) goes live at the end of the month.
Do you know how long it will take to get setup to see if it will work?
Chris
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

It depends on engineer availability in your area (some areas are quite busy at the moment including Northend Ireland and Berkshire) so lead times from when we place the order to appointment vary from about a week to about 4 weeks (also depending on when you're available). Hopefully at only 1 mile is should make a big improvement.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology