cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80 20 trialists - please read this

deadbeat

Re: 80 20 trialists - please read this

I only get 37/11 max when checked using Speedtest.net.  On these figures I would not be prepared to pay extra for 80/20.
A very small charge for 40/10 would be a different matter. 
Bazza
Grafter

@Adam Thanks for the opportunity to test this product. I have completed the feedback survey as requested.
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just did the survey. 48/10 is not a great improvement on my previous 37/7 achieved on 40/10 but as I work from home any bit of extra speed helps on VPN and video networking. The connection is very stable and I had not had a single case of dropped connection during the trial or before. I am still using the Netgear wnr1000 as  I found it more reliable than the Thomnson and Zyxel. 
WWWombat
Grafter

Long time since I visited - real life has been (and still is) getting in the way. Still, I thought I'd better fill in the survey...
We were on the 40/10 speed as a result of the original trial, and achieved 80/20 sync speeds on this trial. We measure throughputs of 75/18 on Samknows, so from a peak performance we are seeing the full enchilada.
However, our experience of using the 80/20 service for real things (ie not speedtesters) is  that it doesn't make any practical difference over the 40/10 service. Yes, there are some downloads that happen slightly faster, but on balance it is very similar. I believe we certainly would have seen a difference if we started on the 40/2 service.
Perhaps there aren't enough of us in the family using it; daughter is still pre-teen, so doesn't generate much usage. I guess that once the family starts contending with itself for bandwidth, then the jump to 80/20 will be useful - but only with a jump in bandwidth allowance too.
I suspect that, in the end, I wouldn't (yet) pay extra to go from 40/10 to 80/20, but I would to go from 40/2 to either 40/10 or 80/20 depending on offering. More use of video is likely to get us closer to the limit of the fibre-extra bandwidth allowance too.
BTW - we got the Zyxel router, which performed identically to the Netgear WNR1000. However, it had a fatal flaw in that it couldn't be configured to direct any incoming TCP connections on to an internal IP address.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
StuartUK35
Grafter

Done the survey
The Zyxel router you sent me i use as a hub on the end of home plug, as it turns out the wifi in a PS3 is utter rubbish!! Cheesy Cheesy
Use my Cisco WRT610N as main unit...
Speedtests show what you expect it to show:  74/13mb on the trial
But despite paying for the PRO option, i still feel throttled in some areas, no matter the time of day, but hey, such is life......
Would i pay more ?  No, cos if i didnt have the PRO option, then Fibre is basically a 2mb (value) line or a 5mb (extra) line between 8am and midnight, so fast speeds and your throttling dont quite go! Smiley
Before doo-gooders wreck the thread, i dont have an issue with the above, just saying how it is and relating to the survey Smiley
If forced into paying to keep the 74mb line, then i'd pay £1.59 Smiley Smiley Smiley Cheesy Cheesy  Crazy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just a quick thanks again to all that took the time over the weekend to fill our the survey, LOTS of you have responded which means that we have lots of feedback.
Thanks again to all that participated.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chinster
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
No firm dates for ending the trial or launching a full product have been made yet, we'll let you guys know as soon as they have.

I hope that you are going to allow people to trial any such product for a month before they commit.  I saw no increases whatsoever and had to wait 4 weeks for a resolution.  I'm less than a km from the exchange but according to the BT engineer who visited today, 500 meters of that is aluminium and that's why I see no increase at all.  As I live in a large housing estate it's fairly safe to assume there will be others in the same situation.
I also lost a day's holiday while the BT engineer came to visit too, I'm don't think too many people would be thrilled about that so I think you need to be very careful what you estimate/promise people will get when put onto an 80/20 product.
Thanks for the opportunity to go on the trial, at least for me it's plain that the product won't be for me and therefore has saved me the pain of having to go through billing and contracts to try and get it taken off or refunded.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for your comments Chinster and I'm sorry you had a few issues, however these are exactly the reasons why we need to trial new services like this before even considering launching them as a commercially available product.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wardie2437
Dabbler

The main problem using fibre is wireless.
If I use a CAT6 ethernet cable either from the router or the cable modem I can get very close to 80/20 (about 78.5/19).
Using wireless I only get maximum of  30 odd download and 12 upload. - Thankfully this will be changing soon when I get it hard wired properly.
I did make some improvements on wireless though by switching from Windows 7 back to Linux Mint 13 using gnome 3. - made my PC fly and
even though I had to switch the wireless card back to a "bg" 54mbs - it was actually faster  Huh (no AV, no spyware, no firewall, no anti-this no anti-that)
Once I get a permanent hard wired connection in I will make a proper judgement. I somehow think I would be willing to pay a little bit extra for an
improvement which would (I hope) see an almost doubling of my speed
wardie2437
Dabbler

I have managed to get a hard wired connection. Moved the Cable modem and my router into my office. Average D/l speeds = 68Mbps and upload 18Mbps. I have a laptop next to me still on wireless - averages out between 10-15Mbps download  and 8-Mbps upload.
I went straight onto the trial so unfortunately I didn't manage to compare them increased speed. Once it drops back down I can make an informed decision. I probably would if it was a small increase per month.
wardie2437
Dabbler

My speed jumped from 35 ish to a mximum of 72 - average about 68-70 - I would pay an extra £5 for that - not much more though
LittleOtik
Dabbler

Questionnaire completed. Just to add I want to thank PN for giving me the opportunity to take part on this trial and that the increase in speeds has been amazing. Thank you guys.  Smiley
CircuitW1zard

@Adam:- Now that we have the option of staying on the 80/20 product do you know if it's worth getting the router that comes with it or will I just be getting one the same as the trial one I used? I don't want to spend £4.99 and end up with something I already have.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

AFAIK you'll get the modified TG582n (one LAN port used for WAN connection). If that's what you've got, you probably don't want another one. If that's not what you've got, you probably don't want one either Smiley
Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'll second that.