cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 trial ping times

NEDDERS12
Dabbler

80/20 trial ping times

I get a ping of roughly 22 at the moment for gaming voip etc but before i was on the trial I got around 13. I'm on atrial i get faster speeds thats fine etc but after the trials over or during the trial are there any plans for improvement in that area. Lower the better for me.
2 REPLIES 2
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 80/20 trial ping times

If your speed is uncapped then you're much more likely to get significantly lower error rates and a stable line with low latency (pings).
With the faster product the line will run at a lower SNR margin so it may well have interleaving, delay and / or input noise protection applied to keep it stable.
If the faster download is not too important and latency really matters to you then you might be better on the 40 Mbps service.
My line had a typical ping of 7 ms to bbc.co.uk on the 40/2 service but shortly after changing to 80/20 this pretty much doubled and I now get 13 to 14ms typical to bbc.co.uk.
I expect it would return to the old ping values if I went back to the lower rate cap.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
NEDDERS12
Dabbler

Re: 80/20 trial ping times

thank you this was very enlightening I think id stick with the 40mb after the trial then, do you have any more wisdom that might help me lower my ping times even more. Probably gonna turn off interleaving when allowed.