cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 Trial unreliable connection.

yorkiepudd
Grafter

80/20 Trial unreliable connection.

Anyone got any suggestions? The support team have run tests but the issues remain!
The concise story . . ..
Joined PN on 40/2 Value fibre. Rock solid connection with throughput around 37/1.8 (my BT cabinet is just up my road about 400m line length).
Went onto 80/20 trial, Rock solid connection with throughput around 65/17.
Upgraded from Value to Extra package, problems start. Getting 40/20 and after assistance from Jelv it was apparent it wasn't correctly configured (Stable rate wasn't set right). Raised ticket, they carried out the instruction, fine, except my connection now keeps dropping, and has done usually once a day, but sometimes several times a day, and my sync speed is dropping as well (down to 52/12 now).
It appeared to get worse as time went on so raised a ticket. Tests ran, no fault found, but the day they started running the tests, the stability improved no end.
Escalated to BT as no fault found and they said the same.
All sorts of charts appeared on my tickets which mean nothing to me  Huh
The support team are now saying as its roughly one drop a day, it's not classed as a fault.
The main issue is that when the connection drops, it doesn't reconnect until I reboot the router! Is this normal? And last night I couldn't reconnect until I powered down the BT modem and restarted that first. I would image it's all these reboots that is affecting my sync rate (but please feel free to correct me  ;D)
Any advice folks? PLEEAASSEE  Cry
7 REPLIES 7
yorkiepudd
Grafter

Re: 80/20 Trial unreliable connection.

Heres some of the info (there are several of these) , and there is some graphs as well but not sure how to post an image, if anyone would care to instruct me
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 57.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 15.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time
Fault Report Advised N
Profile Name 37M-74M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 7.5M-15M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Time Stamp 2012-05-14T05:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 55.5 Mbps 62.4 Mbps 57.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.8 Mbps 18.8 Mbps 15.3 Mbps
Up Time 29665 Sec 86400 Sec 74045 Sec
Retrains 0 4 0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2012-05-15T15:15:26.265+01:00 2012-05-15T15:30:26.265+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 37
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 7 2
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

* Circuit is dropping
* GEA Test is passing - Drops are not caused by router by looks of it
* Raising
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: yorkiepudd
I would image it's all these reboots that is affecting my sync rate (but please feel free to correct me  ;D)

Router reboots should not affect sync but modem problems could.
In many respects FTTC is just like ADSL, there is DLM (Dynamic Line Management) which adjusts the Target noise margin, interleaving and some other related settings to try to get a stable connection at a good rate.  If there's a line fault or just an excessively high error rate then the DLM will try to add stability which means the sync speed can drop.  Like ADSL a fault at the filter (Openreach faeplate in this case) or the modem (but not normally the router) can cause these 'adjustments', unlike ADSL you can't normally just change the modem or filter yourself nor can you access the modem line stats so diagnosis from the customer end is rather limited.
Unlocking the modem (at least if it's the Huawei HG612) is possible but unfortunately not officially permitted (some people purchase a 'spare' from ebay or similar for this purpose then it is possible to run some excellent 'Huawei HG612 graphing scripts' which could assist with diagnosis in certain cases)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

The support team are now saying as its roughly one drop a day, it's not classed as a fault.

Yes, I have to agree with that I'm afraid. However we'll aim to help you as much as we can here, having to reboot the modem each time the connection drops is not right so I've passed this back to faults and asked if we can perhaps look at replacing that for you?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
yorkiepudd
Grafter

Ok so an engineer was eventually despatched to attend to my problem.
The comms from the support team regarding this ongoing problem has been good, so no problems there.
It was decided that it may be that the Openreach modem was at fault.
The engineer had never come across this, but also informed me that there are 2 different types of modem and they are directed to fit a particular one depending on the kit in the street cabinet. The one I was supposed to have had was low on stock when my installation was done but upon further investigation it also became apprent that the kit in my cabinet was of an unexpected variety (Fujitsu I believe) for the area I live in.
Now all kit should be interchangeable but apparently they do match the router to the street cabinet as there has been incompatability issues.
Anyway, he ran every test in the book, replaced the modem, and all seems reasonably well atm.
I still get the occasional disconnection but at least it comes back up on it's own now so it's no longer a problem.
My speeds have started to climb again slowly, back up to 51Mb now as well.
Apparently if this hadn't cured the fault the engineer would have recommended a full cease and re-install.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

That's interesting (for some of us)  Grin
Until you mentioned it, we were aware of Huawei DLSAMS, using a Huawei HG612 modem & ECI DSLAMS using an ECI model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/I Rev.B modem.
Which modem have you ended up with to go with the Fujitsu cabinet kit?
"Unlocked" HG612 modems have been successfully used with ECI DSLAMS (in order to access & monitor connection stats).
Connections to an ECI DSLAM are still profile 17a, although with slightly differing band plans, to which the HG612 modem automatically adapts
yorkiepudd
Grafter

The one that has now been fitted is an ECI.
Apparently they were only installing this kit in the North of Sheffield and out towards Barnsley. He was quite surprised when he checked his database and found my cabinet was of an unexpected flavour  Grin
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

As Bald_Eagle1 mentioned, the Huawei modem has been shown to work successfully with ECI cabinets so I'm wondering if you actually ha a faulty rather than 'incorrect' modem.
How's the connection since the engineer's visit?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.