cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 Trial - Stuck Profile - Engineer Visit - PN Staff Advise please?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 80/20 Trial - Stuck Profile - Engineer Visit - PN Staff Advise please?

Hi Chinster,
Just to explain, the difference between 40/2, 40/10 and 80/20 'products' on FTTC is a 'limit' placed on the sync speed at the cabinet.  What this means is that if you sync below the limit on one 'product' (for whatever reason) you will get absolutely no change on a higher rated 'product'.  One difficulty is that the Openreach modem is 'locked' so you cannot see your actual sync speed though your sync speed  SHOULD be about 103% of the downstream profile reported from the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic) (though it is possible for the modem to re-sync without this being updated, a disconnect and reconnect at the router should force an update).
If you sync at the limit for one product there is no way (with a locked modem) of knowing how much more you could achieve with the limit moved up (though the BT wholesale availability checker https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch... should give some idea of what you might expect).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

Quote from: Bald_Eagle1
We didn't really expect any miracles as 80/20 makes use of higher frequencies that longer lines (like mine) struggle to receive.

Not exactly, since the introduction of the 17a frequency profile (required to enable the 80/20 technology) all products have all the frequencies available (subject to distance / attenuation, interference).
BTW Bald_Eagle1, am I allowed to promote your most excellent graphing scripts for the HG612 on here?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Chinster
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi Chinster,
I've just had a bit more of a dig and the problem you have is your sync rate not being high enough. I think there's probably a fault on your line causing this. The profile is definitely not the issue. Could you tell me when you would be available for an engineer visit any time from tomorrow?
Jojo Smiley

Thanks Joanne, how about tues 29th or wed 30th?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, I'll get that sorted Smiley
Chinster
Grafter

Ok, let me know as soon as you can as will have to request a day off from work!
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: walker23

BTW Bald_Eagle1, am I allowed to promote your most excellent graphing scripts for the HG612 on here?

@ walker23,
I don't mind at all, but you may wish to discuss it with Plusnet or the forum moderators first.
Just for reference though, here are my snapshot stats from yesterday (28.5Mb sync speed) & today (15Mb sync speed).
As you can see, the higher frequency D3 band is no use to me whatsoever with my current attenuation values (unless DSLAM output power was increased substantially).

EDIT:
Just added the mad hour this morning that caused the problem, simply by using the phone.
yet another engineer visit has now been arranged for this Friday morning.
FWIW, these phone causing connection drops only appear during warm & dry weather (as per today).
I can't test again until I get home as I am working remotely today.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: walker23
.... the downstream profile reported from the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic) SHOULD be about 103% of your sync speed

I think you got that the wrong way round - it's about 96.8%.
w23
Pro

Hi Kevin, thanks for noticing, I'll correct the post.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chinster,
I see that's been booked for you now.
Jojo Smiley
Chinster
Grafter

Thanks Joanne, I can confirm that the date and time is ok.  Will enjoy my day off (kids will be at nursery and wife will be at work so I can sense some pretty loud guitar playing throughout the day) Smiley
artisan
Dabbler

Quote from: Spesh
Quote from: Matt
the engineer needs to attend because all that is dealt with in the local cabinet (green box) which is what needs investigating.

That's right, you need (like the rest of us) for a BT Openreach engineer to come to your home, use his mobile to phone someone at some office location for them to then remotely change the profile ??!!
All completely ridiculous. A second order being put through would probably have done it.

Have to agree.  Had an engineer booked to come last week.  He rang me up on the allotted day and said he wasn't required to attend, it was actioned remotely.  So PN have told me *again* that a need to send an engineer!
All that has been achieved since 12 Apr when I signed up for the 80/20 trial, is for PN to inadvertently c**k up my profile so that I'm now syncing below 40 Mbps!
You couldn't make this stuff up.
Chinster
Grafter

This was a note under one of the diagnostics on my ticket by PN staff, does it mean that this is an estimate of what they think I should be getting in reality?

TOTL Estimate:
51500 kbps

marcyd
Dabbler

« Reply #9 on 21/05/2012, 21:21 »

My initial 10 days are up and BT speedtester has remained on 42/20 yet over the 10 days I have had a stable 41/10.
I was originally on 37.5/8.1
Any staff any ideas on my speed issue?Huh
marcyd
Dabbler

Just got new router running but still same speeds
Netgear WNR1000V3    41.03 - 9.21
Technicolor  41.01 - 8.61
Netgear when on 40-10 i was getting 37.5 - 8.1 
Chinster
Grafter

Well, BT Engineer has been and everything is perfect, no speed increase however.
Apparently I'm less than a km from the cabinet but there could be 500 metres of aluminium cable between here and there.
So moving from 40/20 to 80/20 has given me no increase whatsoever.
Not sure how Plusnet are going to charge people for that but hey Cheesy
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
25.11 Mbps

0 Mbps 27.06 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 25.11 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-27.06 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 27.06 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
5.55 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.55Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

No point me staying on 80/20 at all as there is no difference, I certainly wouldn't pay for it.
Thanks to PN for letting me go on the trial.