cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 Trial - Do indiv. cabinets need to be enabled?

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

80/20 Trial - Do indiv. cabinets need to be enabled?

Quick question re the 80/20 trial.
In order to go on the trial, does each cab need to be enabled to support 80/20?
Im on Cabinet P78 - Thats showing my speed as 40/6.5
Other house is on P87 - Thats showing 68.5/20
Both cabinets were enabled today it seems...
And do the normal traffic shaping rules apply when on the trial?
Regards.
6 REPLIES 6
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 80/20 Trial - Do indiv. cabinets need to be enabled?

No, 80/20 is available on all FTTC cabinets now (but your speed can be limited by line quality and distance from the cabinet).  Remember the speed estimate is exactly that, you could get better (or less often, slightly worse).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Ooooohhh cheers dude.
Will get onto the trial as soon as fibre is installed  Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Amanha,
If your estimate is 40Mbps then going on the trial wouldn't make it go any faster I'm afraid.
Jojo Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

With respect Joanne (and not being deliberately argumentative), several people have reported their line exceeding the BT Wholesale estimate by a reasonable amount though it is clearly most unlikely that a line with a 40Mb/s estimate will get anywhere near the full 80Mb/s.  The upstream should definitely be better than on the standard 40/2.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI walker23,
I suppose there is something to be gained from the upstream, but the BT availability checker will now report speed estimates of up to 80Mbps where before BT brought out their 80/20 product it would still show only up to 40Mbps, so our early trialists didn't have the benefit of seeing an 80/20 estimates.
Jojo Smiley
willm888
Dabbler

(With a similar level of respect as shown by Walker23) Wink
I think the point is that the BT availability checker can be (very) conservative at times...I was estimated at 68Mbps and, on the trial, I'm syncing at the full 79999 (with significant SNRM to spare) and it's been totally stable for 6days+ so even if the checker is reporting you'll "only" get 40Mbps you may be pleasantly surprised. 
Clearly if the current IP profile when checked through the BT speedtester is ever anything less than 38717 downstream then it would suggest that Amanha is already very close to the limit of SNR on their line and thus there is likely to be very little uplift seen (in download) going to the 80/20 trial.
In answer to the last question, yes traffic shaping does apply but it's specific to the fibre product (and remains the same as the product you sign up to regardless of being on the trial or not).  In many cases the fibre shaping can mean that rates are lower than on a half decent ADSL connection depending on type and time.  Roll_eyes
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml