Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

Picnic
Grafter

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

PPP connection reset just after midnight and I'm now getting

That's obviously better although the upload is still not what I was expecting. BT's checker now reports
IP Profile for your line is - 55.85 Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Time now to see how things pan out over the next few days.
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Typical, I don't check the forum for a couple of days and missed that the open trial had started Embarrassed
Anyway, have raised a ticket today [52464880] and looking forward to seeing if my speeds can be improved (currently about 30/6).
coachdriver
Grafter

Similar here.
Also reset nearly 24 hours after the ticket.
Initial speedtest showed a jump from 35/8 to 47/10.
BT Speedtester showed 52/11 with a IP Profile of 57.03 / 20
Downloaded a couple of OS updates just after 8am and was getting about 40mbps download. So not that impressed at the moment
So why would the IP Profile be so low ?
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: WWWombat
Predictions:
Distance: 450 metres
8c prediction: 29/12
17a prediction: 55/18 (briefly) then capped at 40/10
Before (40/10 on 17a):
Modem Sync:             39999   - 10000
IP Profile:             38717   - 10000
Speedtest.net:             37.5 -  8.7 (regular)
BT Speedtester:            38   -  9.5 (new tester)
Max Attainable at install: 90   - 26
Max Attainable yesterday:  88   - 26

After (80/20 on 17a):
Modem Sync:             79999    - 20000
IP Profile:                77.43 - 10 (new tester; yes, upstream profile still reads as 10)
Speedtest.net:             75.0  - 17.1 (best)
BT Speedtester:            68    - 19.0 (new tester)
Max Attainable today:      85    - 26

Wow - well done, that's better than I'm getting and I think my cabinet is a tad closer. My predictions were also slightly higher than yours.
WWWombat
Grafter

I should add that between 12:05 and 12:30 (ie after the modem had resynced at 80/20, but before the router had reconnected) I got download speeds (on Speedtest.net) of 38Mbps and 15Mbps.
The router reconnection was automatic, so presumably some sort of timeout was triggered. I was waiting to see if it happened, but I'd have probably given up in another 10 minutes.
Presumably I was being limited by the IP Profile on BT's side at that time. I was (and still am) on the 20Mb profile at PN.
@picnic:
Interesting to see that you get a 20Mb profile for upstream, but only get speeds of around 10Mb (though higher than normal). I was getting speeds of 16Mb, but a profile of 10. That profile (BT's upstream profile) has now changed to 20, but I'm still seeing the same speeds.
@alanscoachdriver
On 80/20, the IP Profiles are now going to be very much more limited by a) distance and b) crosstalk from neighbours. Many lines could hit 40/10, but far less will be capable of hitting 80/20 - although it looks to be easier to hit the "20" part than the "80".
Your profile value suggests you are hitting these limitations.
Your speedtest results suggest that you are limited a little under the best you could achieve - which may well be down to the capability of your PC or router.
Actual download speeds are limited too - but that could be anything between you and the remote server. I suspect that we're now capable of saturating many remote services, and it will take time to work out just where the various bottlenecks occur.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: KevinG
Wow - well done, that's better than I'm getting and I think my cabinet is a tad closer. My predictions were also slightly higher than yours.

I suspect that I'm not really encountering much crosstalk. The cabinet has been there a long time (certainly longer than at my old house), but this area has a lot more Virgin coverage. I *think* it is taking time for people to switch to fibre - which (right now) means I don't get much competition!
I'll be watching the stats over time...
Plusnet Customer
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I noticed I was racking up a lot of CRC errors initially (currently using Fritz!Box 7390 to get line stats), this morning at 5:24 it resynced and has now dropped by about 10Mbps (now 62672), interleaving must have been added as the router reports downstream latency of 7ms (was 0ms on both down and up), also an impulse noise protection value of 3.0 has been added on the downstream.
The result is my measured download speed has dropped to about 58Mb/s and pings have increased (by almost exactly the 7ms reported by the router) so it takes a 'whole' 15ms at best to ping 'bbc.co.uk'. On the other hand CRC errors have gone from about 5000 per hour to zero (though FECs have risen dramatically).
When capped to 40Mbps the connection had so much margin that it was incredibly stable, now it's working to capacity the DLM is doing its job and keeping things stable at the expense of some speed.
'Real world' performance, no noticeable difference really, even gaming with the extra 7ms is still generally free from lag.
Just to mention, I switched to FTTC after suffering a regular performance issue on ADSL2+, presumed to be a REIN issue, which made my broadband close to unusable some days.  Even though I believe that the source on the interference was between me and the cabinet the FTTC does not show any symptoms of suffering from the same problem.
I will switch back to the BT modem at some point to get a comparison on the new DLM settings.
@WWWombat, mightily impressive figures for 450m, as mentioned before mine's around 300m (though the underground cables are a good 20 years old now).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: dave
Should you decide to switch back to 40Mbps at the end of the trial then you would move back to what you have now, so you have 40/10 now you'd go back to 40/10.

Just to double-check on this, would this apply regardless of the reason for being on 40/10? I'm currently on that package and want to be absolutely sure that I'll be able to revert to it later on.
grahamt
Rising Star

My 80/20 connection kicked in overnight. Today, after getting some peculiar results from MyBroadbandSpeed, I disconnected PPP and power-cycled the modem, just to make sure the new setup was fully present. I probably didn't need to do that.
I'm using the standard FTTC router at the moment - Netgear WNR1000v3. Speedtests were done from a wired connection to a pretty new PC.
Speedtest net shows about 64Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up. Ping 8-11ms
MyBroadbandSpeed shows around 10Mb/s down (!) and 16Mb/s up
BT Speedtester gives my IP profile as 67.53Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up, with throughput of 56Mb/s down and 15.36Mb/s up
It's about what I would have expected (except for the MyBroadbandSpeed downstream figure - not sure what's going on there, but it's probably nothing to do with my setup). I was getting around 32Mb/s down and 1.6Mb/s up on Plusnet Value Fibre.
All in all, very nice so far. I just hope the DLM behaves itself.
Thanks to Plusnet for making this trial available.
Graham
garywood84
Rising Star

Just one more question before I sign up - will my fax to email and static IP still work as usual?
JEB
Grafter

^^^^
Glad it is working for you guys.  I'm still capped at 40/10 notwithstanding the considerably higher sync 😞
@dave - the router you have kindly provided has arrived in this morning's post.  How do you want me to feedback my thoughts / any problems with the router?  Via these forums / private message?

James
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: WWWombat
Quote from: KevinG

I suspect that I'm not really encountering much crosstalk. The cabinet has been there a long time (certainly longer than at my old house), but this area has a lot more Virgin coverage. I *think* it is taking time for people to switch to fibre - which (right now) means I don't get much competition!
I'll be watching the stats over time...

Even though we are not cabled I still don't think there's been a lot of take-up in my village - none that I am actually aware of personally. TBH I think it's a minor miracle I'm getting the speeds I am, it's all very old infrastructure with poles carrying telephone and electricity cables, far too close together for my liking!
WWWombat
Grafter

@garywood84:
We had 80/20 activated last night. The static IP stayed in place.
@JEB: Must be frustrating!
@KevinG:
We're in an old bit of town, large Victorian buildings converted into flats - I thought we'd have old & terrible cabling in the streets - especially after the original speed estimates were lower than my old house - which was 200 metres longer, but on a 15 year-old estate with (you'd think) decent cabling.
I've been amazed so far, but I'm sure it won't last!
Plusnet Customer
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@WWWombat, do you have any error stats available?  Mine was holding up well with what looked like very high errors for a while.  I suspect that if your CRCs are not up in the thousands per hour you'll likely keep your stability (and speed).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Cathotel
Grafter

Just curious as to whether you get an email/text to say when the 80/20 trial is going to go live, or one after it's gone live?
Other than the ticket I raised yesterday I can't find the trial details on the main site but I'm sure that's down to me Smiley
Looking forward to 'mine' ..