Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

Cathotel's post is very interesting. We already know that those who get less than full speed on the 40/n products will not see increased download speeds on 80/20, but it seems to confirm that those near the limits for 40/n will see a degradation in download speeds from moving to 80/20. Plusnet and other ISPs need to be very careful how they market this.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chinster
Thing is, I got a leaflet through the door from BT telling me that if I go on to Infinity 2 I will get a speed of 53mb down.

What was the exact wording of this claim?
Chinster
Grafter

Quote from: KevinG
Quote from: Chinster
Thing is, I got a leaflet through the door from BT telling me that if I go on to Infinity 2 I will get a speed of 53mb down.

What was the exact wording of this claim?

I need to see if I can find the leaflet later, will type it out if I can find it.
Estragon
Rising Star

Am I right in thinking the "fix" for the IP profile reverting to 40Mbps from 20Mbps consisted of making 40Mbps another "uncapped" setting? I'm showing 40, but attaining over 50 :).
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

(I stuck this in a thread, got no replies on it).
Trial went live near the 19th of July, expecting speeds of around 75meg, I only get 45. If I was a long way from the cab, I would accept this, but seeing as I can literally see the cabinet down the road, I presume something is quite wrong. If the cab is around 100m away, and the engineer claims that the line goes direct to the PCP that I am connected to (it seemed like the engineer was a little dim so I cant really comment on the feasibility of this claim), wouldnt I be getting faster speeds? I have raised a fault on this (58178094) as I see it as a bit of a fault that i can only get max obtainable of 59meg (according to the modem which has been hacked by me) with the fibre cabinet 100m away from the property and the original PCP about 0.75m away from the new fibre cabinet.
Anyone with the same distance (100m or less): What kind of speeds do you get?
Picnic
Grafter

Quote from: KevinG
Cathotel's post is very interesting. We already know that those who get less than full speed on the 40/n products will not see increased download speeds on 80/20, but it seems to confirm that those near the limits for 40/n will see a degradation in download speeds from moving to 80/20.

Hmm, I only got ~34M down and 8 up before moving to the 80/20 trial where I'm now getting ~50/10. I'm somewhere between 750-800M from my cab. Seems I wasn't getting the full speed before but I've seen a reasonable increase on the trial.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@Picnic, I assume the figures you quote are throughput (speedtest) rather than sync., did you record any BT profile figures from before the trial as it is almost certain that you were syncing at 40Mb/s despite the 34Mb/s indicated speed.
50Mb/s download does appear pretty good for 750-800m - suggests you have a good line for the length to the cabinet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Cathotel
Grafter

@Dave and @Adam,
Further to my move back to 40/2 I received a survey invite ref the 80/20 product.  It's really geared for someone who hasn't had any FTTC before so I'm not ignoring the request but just not relevant.
If you want some bullet points on the pros and cons of 40/2 to 80/20 in my circumstance then happy to oblige via a PM or I could update my ticket as long as you can access it?
Please let me know if this is any use?
Cheers,
Pete
P.S. My post couple of days ago ref not able to use the BT Speedtester after reverting - Culprit is 'updating everything thinking it's the bees knees'.  Java 7 messes with IE, Chrome and Firefox on Vista and XP Professional for the tester.  Gone back to Java 6 Update 32 and all OK.  Just about to try Update 33 but taken auto update off for now.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Cathotel, as some others may choose to go back to 40/n at the end of this trial could you keep us informed on whether your 40/2 remains good after (say) a few more weeks please?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
millsdon
Grafter

Quote from: meh
(I stuck this in a thread, got no replies on it).
Trial went live near the 19th of July, expecting speeds of around 75meg, I only get 45. If I was a long way from the cab, I would accept this, but seeing as I can literally see the cabinet down the road, I presume something is quite wrong. If the cab is around 100m away, and the engineer claims that the line goes direct to the PCP that I am connected to (it seemed like the engineer was a little dim so I cant really comment on the feasibility of this claim), wouldnt I be getting faster speeds? I have raised a fault on this (58178094) as I see it as a bit of a fault that i can only get max obtainable of 59meg (according to the modem which has been hacked by me) with the fibre cabinet 100m away from the property and the original PCP about 0.75m away from the new fibre cabinet.
Anyone with the same distance (100m or less): What kind of speeds do you get?

I've got the same. Some 200m from the cabinet and only getting about 45mb. Attenuation is fairly high for that distance and my house wiring is tip top. The cable from the pole to the house is less than 2 years old. BT speedtest profiles the line as having 53mb max saying that users in my area have attained a maximum of 53mb. I wonder what the bloke who lives just outside the cabinet can get?
c0dec
Grafter

Hey guys, loving the 80/20 product and had no issues apart from the 40/20 downspeed issue a week or so ago. The only very slight gribe I have is that interleaving is back on my line, now I know this is very picky but im actually getting higher pings than I had on 5mbit ADSL from Plusnet! Now I know, this isnt a major thing but for the first month or longer on the trial I had a lovely 10ms ping, this has now doubled since the 40/20 issue, which I can only assume was down to the amount of times I rebooted the modem. Is there any way to either retrain my line so I can get interleaving off again or to force it back off?
Many thanks,
Dan
garywood84
Rising Star

Anyone else seeing very slow downstream speeds tonight?  I usually get >65Mb, but currently seeing around 12Mb.
Picnic
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
@Picnic, I assume the figures you quote are throughput (speedtest) rather than sync., did you record any BT profile figures from before the trial as it is almost certain that you were syncing at 40Mb/s despite the 34Mb/s indicated speed.
50Mb/s download does appear pretty good for 750-800m - suggests you have a good line for the length to the cabinet.

Indeed these were speed tests as I haven't hacked the BT modem to get at anything better.
Ash07
Dabbler

My profile is now stuck on 20, have rebooted modem/router and it won't budge. Am i right in thinking 40 is now the correct profile for 80/20 trials? I'm getting poor speeds (compared to what I was getting!) as below.
paulpicks21
Grafter

You are correct Ash, 40 is the new profile for 80/20
Paul