Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC Trial Closed

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 80/20 FTTC Trial Open

Profile comes from the BT speedtester http://speedtester.bt.com
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: Dev
Where do i get the IP?

Go to http://speedtester.bt.com and run the ADSL & FTTC Diagnostics test.  Ignore the speed test results -- they won't be accurate -- but below where they are reported it will give you your IP profile.
SeanP
Dabbler

Not sure how much better things are than with 40/10?
BT SpeedTester IP Profile (Tested 12/04 at 01:40):
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-42.58 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 42.58 Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Using a Wired Connection to the original Netgear N150 WNR1000v3 with Firmware: V1.0.2.28_52.0.60
Best speeds shown on speedtest.net on 10/04 :
Download: 41.15Mbps, Upload: 8.67Mbps, Ping: 17ms, Server: Lancaster.

I think that's slightly better than pre-80/20 trial?
However, the Zyxel router returns very poor results, with wired connection from same PC, on 10/04 also:
Download: 0.39Mbps, Upload: 3.63Mbps, Ping: 15ms, Server: Preston,

Embarrassed  Cry
v70ben
Grafter

Whoops...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 26 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.68Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Looks like my IP_Profile is screwy.
BIG change compared to previous speeds (Obviously)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Can you disconnect/reconnect via your router interface and try again?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SpecialD
Rising Star

Quote from: garywood84
...... I'm currently in the ridiculous situation of trialling a product that's actually giving me worse service than the product I had before (40/10, which was steady at 38Mb/10Mb).

I said exactly my the same think in a PM to Adam. I'm basically getting just over 1/2 what I was getting on 40/2 !
Mocca
Grafter

Very happy with my fibre, had no issues and have hit 2200kbs upload.
Prices prices prices, i think i'll ditch the phone and have a faster speed, the bill is allready too high, damn the phone :(.
As with 40mb, 80mb is another life changer for me, my impatient attitude loves 80/20 Smiley
JEB
Grafter

Quote from: garywood84
Alex did say that another customer has been having an issue with the speed seeming to be capped at 40Mb even though they are on the 80Mb trial, and that for this customer you've done what I suggested for my line (i.e. regrade down to 40 and then back to 80).  This is due to complete (back to 80) tomorrow, so Alex is going to update me then, and said that if this makes a difference, we can try it on my line too.
So, I'll wait and see what your other customer's result is, and then hopefully get my line regraded too.  I think I'd like to try this anyway, if there's no other options for a solution by the beginning of next week, because I'm currently in the ridiculous situation of trialling a product that's actually giving me worse service than the product I had before (40/10, which was steady at 38Mb/10Mb).

That will be me Alex is talking about.
I think my problem may have been different to yours though.  When I was first put onto the trial I happened to be in front of my computer at the time the regrade occurred.  My download IP profile increased and I was getting speeds consistent with my profile of considerably over 40Mbps.  My upload IP profile however was still at 10 Mbps and I was getting upload speeds consistent with this profile.  When I checked the next morning my upload IP profile had increased to 20.  However from that morning onwards I never obtained speeds over 40/10.  It was if something had gone wrong with the regrade as this seems to have happened in two steps, first download then upload.
However my regrade back to 40/10 and then to 80/20 again completed last night and when I tested briefly this morning the cap on my download speed had disappeared and I was getting about 60 Mbps 🙂  
I couldn't get any faster then 10 Mbps on the upload though.  I will be doing some more testing when I get home tonight, as I'm mindful what happened last time.  However at least this time my upload IP profile is 20 and hence it looks like the regrade went through in one step.

James

garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: JEB
That will be me Alex is talking about.
I think my problem may have been different to yours though.  When I was first put onto the trial I happened to be in front of my computer at the time the regrade occurred.  My download IP profile increased and I was getting speeds consistent with my profile of considerably over 40Mbps.

Thanks, James.  Glad to hear that this has brought an improvement for you.
My problem is different from yours, but I never thought it was the same.  Where I think there is potential for there to be a similarity, though, is in the effect of the 80-40-80 regrade.  I am convinced that the issues I'm experiencing are not due to a hardware fault (BT has been and tested my line already), and contrary to PN's claims, I don't think it's a capacity issue or a problem with networks being out of balance following last week's Faraday outage.  Rather, I suspect that the problem is to do with mismatched profiles on BT's systems. 
Of course, I don't have proof of this, but PN doesn't have proof of any alternative explanations either.  I don't mean that as a criticism: it was very clear from my discussion with Alex yesterday that he is working very hard with the team, in consultation with BT, to identify the cause of the issues customers are currently having and to try to find a solution; and I also sense that working with BT to find a solution isn't an easy task in itself! 
To try and help PN get evidence/data to diagnose the problem -- and also to help myself get a better service back asap, admittedly -- I still would like to be regarded back to 40/10 and then come back to 80/20 again.  My thinking on this is that these changes would force all the profiles and settings on BT's systems to be reset.  If I then see faster speeds after the regrade back to 80/20, this would indicate that the problem is a software issue, and so prevent further wasted visits from engineers (both here, and to other customers) and allow PN and BT to focus on what's causing the problem.  A further test would then follow after a few days: if the speeds start to reduce again, towards the levels they're currently at, then this would indicate that the problem is likely to something in DLM which is applying too aggressively.
I'm currently waiting for an update from Alex, but he said yesterday that if the 80-40-80 regrading worked for the other customer (who seems to be James), then we could look at trying it with my line, too.  So, fingers crossed we might be able to start the process soon.  I'll post back as things progress...
SpecialD
Rising Star

I've also said the same to Alex, that considering I'm getting half the speed now (on 80/20) than I was when I was standard value package (40/2) then I might as well come off the trial and see if it improves again, esp considering that they say they can't do anything because I'm getting more than 12mbps.
On the proviso that someone will be immediately available to correct the 'known issue' with profile changes that causes me to lose broadband completely! I don't want to be offline for a week for the same issue (again) for a 3rd time!
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: Spesh
I might as well come off the trial and see if it improves again

I'm not suggesting that I come off the trial altogether: just regrade to 40Mbps on Day 1, have another regrade order placed on Day 2, and then be back to 80/20 on Day 3.  I'm sure that this will be sufficient to get back to higher speeds at least for a while.  Whether or not it will drop off again depends on what the underlying problem is/was, but as I said in my previous post, this will allow us to test that.
JimF
Grafter

I applied to join the trial earlier today.  A fast response to my ticket (#54319789) included the following words:
"Thank you for taking part in our 80/20 FTTC trial. In this instance, our suppliers will need an engineer to visit your property"
I've been on fibre for a few months without any problems.  Any ideas on why I might need an engineer visit?
oglord
Dabbler

Now on 80/20 trial. Only getting DS speeds of 50-53Mbit/s though. This is using a Draytek 2850n with wired ethernet connection and with the MacBook plugged into a HG612 and dialling PPPoE directly. Draytek states that the sync speed is 79985/20000 and BT Speedtester agrees that the profile is 77Mbit/s. PlusNet profile was 37Mbit/s before the regrade, now showing as the 20Mbit/s profile.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

For those that haven't seen this on the TBB Fibre Broadband forum:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibr...
What if I need to raise a fault on an 80/20 line?
We are changing the test thresholds within our GEA service test that we use to accept faults. From 19th March 2012 there will be no need to wait until your line speed has dropped below a specific fault threshold rate. Openreach provides a full fault diagnostic process that picks up the major causes of speed issues. Any found on an end user’s line will be picked up by our test systems and we’ll accept a fault for investigation. For further details see Section 3.9 of the GEA over FTTC product description.

Plus response from Mark Kelly, Plusnet Operations Manager:
The OR article makes for interesting reading, however faults are raised to BT Wholesale who haven't acknowledged OR's stance nor updated their systems and processes to reflect that statement.
We've raised this with BTW management and we'll see what comes of it

BlastWave
Grafter

Just ran a BT Speedtest @ 9.35pm - result was a download speed of 18.78mbps. Looks like a slow deterioration in the evenings.... Sad